Hyundai Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with HF? Ask! Have a suggestion to better HF? Tell us here..

Hyundai Veloster Turbo 2013

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 03:39 PM
Default Hyundai Veloster Turbo 2013

Hey guys,
My Veloster Turbo 2013 with only 73000 miles has started giving me problems. A few months ago it started shaking then dying on me at traffic lights. Few days ago, I suddenly lost power. Looks like the car activated the limp mode. I couldn’t squeeze more than 30 mph (2000-3000 rpm).
Check engine light didn’t come up. Called Hyundai dealer and they scheduled the diagnostics in a few weeks from now. I don’t know what to do. Help!

Old 12-05-2021, 04:42 PM

In spite of how painful this next question might be , it still has to be asked.

Can you fill us in on what kind of maintenance has been done say last 2-3 months?

Did you happen to notice if the RPM gauge , if on there, dropped out before it stalled each time?

Old 12-05-2021, 06:31 PM

To remedy the stalling issue we had performed the suggested maintenance: replaced throttle position sensor non-OEM, cleaned throttle body, new PCV valve, new spark plugs, full synthetic oil change, started using 93 premium gas. Stalling issue still came back after about a month of driving. Also no codes were ever showing even when checked with pro mechanic data tool, we did not record live data to catch the stalling error.

Car was parked for about a day after limp mode, and now it drives fine, checked for codes at advanced auto parts with Actron Elite Autoscanner, no codes. We were hoping to record the codes while the car was still in limp mode.

There is big list of common replacement parts, but it is a guessing game at this point, like the fuel line or filters… Best case would be to buy an expensive data logging tool and catch the error live, correct?

Please advise, thank you in advance.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:32 AM

Buying an expensive tool is only part of the picture.
There are a lot of places out there with expensive tools that don't know how to use them or know what they are looking at..
A tech needs to know how the system works so he/she can spot something that does not look right. The tool is only as good as the person using it.
Not knowing your level of experience and background, might be a good move to study up on how today's vehicles operate and what is required for them to run/start etc.

There are some general things common to just about all vehicles, but there are a lot of vehicles with specific systems and knowledge of how they function is absolutely necessary to troubleshoot them.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:15 PM

I hear what you are saying.
I don’t have many options here. I definitely need to find a mechanic to deal with this issue. The problem is that the limp mode and stalling issues are not constant. I also noticed it idles high (1.5 rpm) in park. Very random thing, happened like a few times in the past month.
We have the Autel 808mx scan tool to help troubleshoot. Can you advise which system module should I be data logging as it has way too many options, i assume engine data or the fuel system or drivetran? Has anybody successfully logged this issue while driving?

Also if anybody is familiar with the process of using the diagnostic tools. Can you scan for codes while driving, like an active error code readout if something happens or will I have to manually hit scan when the car starts bogging down or if stalls on me, will that interrupt the scan ..

Old 12-08-2021, 04:14 AM

A good scan tool should be able to supply "Freeze Frame Data".
Once you enter the correct vehicle info into the tool, just scroll down to freeze frame data or engine data. That should include things like idle speed, coolant temp,MAF reading, and lots more depending on the scan tool. There are several modes to obtain specific info from and some scan tools will guide you through them.
What we would like to see is called data stream info.
Things like oxygen sensor voltages , long and short fuel trim numbers can tell us a lot about what is going on.

Freeze frame data is recorded if and when a fault causes the check engine lite to illuminate.
Not all codes will cause the lite to come on , but history codes are important.

Old 12-09-2021, 01:10 PM

Hanky,

Would you please look over the data? I attached the file. The car was not in limp mode while we ran it.
also, was not able to find any history. Looks like it was all cleared.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
(Engine) Live data.pdf (63.0 KB, 178 views)
Old 12-10-2021, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the data info. Looks pretty normal.

Can you capture the data while it is in limp mode?

Old 12-10-2021, 07:26 PM

Yes. I will as soon as it goes back into limp mode.

Thank you so much for your help

Old 12-11-2021, 08:26 AM

Actually,,,,,,,,,,,,we won't be able to tell too much while it is in limp mode, ,,,,,,,,because the system is running on fixed info which will not tell us very much..

Something is taking place that the vehicle computer detects that will either exceed the allowable emission amounts or if left alone will cause damage to some vehicle components.
The better thing to have is Freeze Frame info and maybe a code or two.