Hyundai Getz Offering a sportier look than the Atos, the Getz preserves the economy of the sub compact market in both the 2 and 4 door models.

Getz 3rd gear popping out

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 03:59 AM
Default Getz 3rd gear popping out

Hi Guys,

I have swap a seized engine on a 1.4L Getz with manual gearbox. The car stayed 3 years outside, just like that after it seized, until I got time to do that swap. All is working fine except the 3rd gear that popping out nearly straight away when driving. All the other gears seems lock in perfectly. I owned the car before it seized and there was no issue with the gearbox at all. I have not touched the clutch, so a misalignment seems improbable because the engine and gearbox are sliding into each other with no gap or play around space... I am more thinking of the cables but everything look normal. What should I check ?

Cheers

Old 05-10-2023, 06:26 AM

You might start with verifying the motor mounts have not been damaged.

Usually excessive movement of the trans input shat will allow popping out of a higher gear since that gear is usually the most upfront in the gearbox.

Once those are verified in good condition , then we might start looking into the shift rails . If the problem was not present before the swap, good possibility it involves something we disturbed..

Old 05-13-2023, 09:14 PM
Default Few checks later

Originally Posted by hanky
You might start with verifying the motor mounts have not been damaged.

Usually excessive movement of the trans input shat will allow popping out of a higher gear since that gear is usually the most upfront in the gearbox.

Once those are verified in good condition , then we might start looking into the shift rails . If the problem was not present before the swap, good possibility it involves something we disturbed..
Hi Hanky,
I checked the mounting blocks and they looks good. I checked the oil level to be sure, I removed the cables, lift the car in front (wheels not in contact with floor anymore) and put the gear in 3rd by hand directly on the gear box. I jumped into the car, started and released the clutch very gently. The gear popped out straight away. I put the cables back and tried to put a bit of pressure on the lever to keep the 3rd gear in but it kick it out as soon clutch fully released. I tried to put the car jack under the gearbox to help keep the whole block more stable but same result. I guess I will have to remove the gearbox to check stuff further (or swap the gearbox). Or do you think anything else I can do without deposing again the whole engine ? Cheers