Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

04 santa fe runs like crap,eats fuel -no codes..

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Default caused by 10% methanol?

I did a search on brown muck in the fuel tank and found that some boaters are having trouble with brown muck in their tanks and clogging fuel filters. It seems the ethanol absorbs more water but cannot process it, it then turns to muck and clogs things up. I've been going to a new gas station for about a year that states right on the pump that their gas has up to 10% methanol in it Could this have caused my problem? Could I have been accumulating this muck over the course of a year to the point of where It is now?.I have never ever had a problem like this in the past and my vehicle is not real old only 5 yrs.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Default I think its ethanol not methanol.

I think the gas station in my previous post is using ethanol not methanol. I know they are some how different but also similar.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Banned

I think all gas in the US is 10% ethanol. Some places it's 15%. I don't think it's your problem. If you keep your tank near empty in winter, that makes a lot of condensation in the tank. In the old days we would buy "dry gas" additive and put it in the tank, but if you keep your tank full, you won't have that problem.

Boats have a problem because most people don't run them enough and the gas will separate in the carburetor. Or condensation forms in the tank from all the moisture.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:01 AM

Just to clarify, did this problem start after the time belt change? It could be a tooth off, easy to do and would cause the problems you are having. Noisier exhaust could indicate such a timing problem.

If you are still thinking dirty fuel injectors try a can of BG44k with tank full of the top grade Shell gas.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:04 AM

forgot to mention, check ALL the underhood hoses - one might have gotten knocked loose, causing a vacuum leak.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Default Problem was before t-belt change.

I'm still having a problem. It seems somewhat better but its still not like it should be.The problem was already there before the timing belt change. Where can I get some of that B44k?

Old 05-16-2009, 03:15 PM

BG44k

Old 06-08-2009, 11:14 PM

the problem is its a santa fe 3.5. its a pig on gas. you can try cleaning the throttle or paying for a BG intake cleaning as the runners do get clogged up, however as a technician i would honestly suggest pushing it off a cliff and collecting the insurance money thus investing in other santa fe powered by the far more reliable and just as powerful 2.7.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Forget used 2.7L Santa Fe's. Personally, I'd trade it in on a new Santa Fe with the even more powerful and refined 3.3L Lambda engine. And Hyundai is giving big discounts on the Santa Fe and most of their lineup.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Default Still crap

I got a can of bg44k and put it in the tank / still runs like crap. I really cannot afford a new vehicle right now , so I guess I 'll just put up with it.

Quick Reply: 04 santa fe runs like crap,eats fuel -no codes..