Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2019 Santa Fe shut down while driving 65 mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 12:39 PM
Default 2019 Santa Fe shut down while driving 65 mph

Wife said the car just shut down on her going down the interstate. She took it to the dealer and it did it again on the way. It cranks back up each time. Dealer no engine light/codes found. Any ideas, gentlemen ?

Old 02-08-2020, 01:53 PM

It does sound like a power interruption to the ign system.
What other things does she notice when it stalls. Do all the dash lites come on, yes/ no?
Is she doing anything particular at the time it shuts down? Does it happen when she does do something particular?
Does it do it only when warmed up or cold too?
High speed or any speed?
Does it shut off abruptly or die out then quit?
The more info you can supply , the better.
This vehicle does have push button start ? yes/no

Old 02-08-2020, 02:28 PM

First time it just shut down, the second time the entire dash lit up before it did. No push button start

Old 02-09-2020, 12:10 AM

Does it start and run after this episode??

Old 02-09-2020, 06:14 AM

At this point we don't know if it is fuel or electrical. Of course electrical can influence fuel.

Just speculating, I would suspect electrical.
After it quits, and she gets it restarted, about how long will it run before shutting down again?

Again , speculating, a faulty crank sensor will not usually provide any codes, but will open when heated enough and cool down enough to restart.
Unfortunately, so will a poor connection in the ign system, beginning right at the fuse panel on out to the coils.
We would have to place a test light or meter in the ign circuit to confirm if this is what is happening..I have done this in the past to get a visual confirmation of power loss when driving and go on from there.

Old 11-01-2022, 01:29 PM
Default 2018 Santa Fe sport ****s down

Originally Posted by Jakegraves
Wife said the car just shut down on her going down the interstate. She took it to the dealer and it did it again on the way. It cranks back up each time. Dealer no engine light/codes found. Any ideas, gentlemen ?
I have a 2018 Santa Fe sport and it also shuts down. There’s no rhyme or reason why it shuts down. I can be at a traffic light or driving. I’ve Taken my car to the dealership no less than 5 times in the past year and a half for the same problem. The result is always the same- no codes found and they can’t duplicate the problem. I’ve told them that this car is going to kill me (literally) and this is a lawsuit in the making. My car was just back at the dealership for a week and a half - no results.

Old 11-01-2022, 05:04 PM

Just a question.

Do you have a heavy bunch of keys on a key ring hanging from the ignition key position at the time it quits?
Have had a few instances where the heavy weight of the keys cause the ign switch to shut off.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Just a question.

Do you have a heavy bunch of keys on a key ring hanging from the ignition key position at the time it quits?
Have had a few instances where the heavy weight of the keys cause the ign switch to shut off.
I have a keyless remote. With all of these issues, I don’t understand how they haven’t figured it out and yet they continue to sell the cars

Old 11-03-2022, 11:20 AM

I can understand your frustration. What would you do if you had this type problem with your TV set?

Today's vehicles are just as complicated and each problem has to be checked on it's own merits and electronics can be a little elusive to chase down.

Sometimes a different shop will have come across this problem and have a head start on where and what to check.

Many problems may appear the same, but have a completely different cause. If it was only that easy,,