Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Clicking Noise From Right Rear Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Default Clicking Noise From Right Rear Wheel

Hello all,

I'm driving a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe with 83,000 miles on it.

Had it in the shop (dealer) a couple of weeks back for some work on the transmission. While there, I had the dealer perform the work for Recall 090 (corrosion of rear trailing arm). Since that time, there has been a clicking noise coming from what I believe to be the right rear wheel (it is definitely coming from the right [passenger] side). The noise sounds like metal rubbing up against metal, for lack of a better description. The noise is directly correlated to wheel rotation... the faster I drive the vehicle, the more frequently it occurs; the slower I drive, the less frequently it occurs.

Does anyone have any ideas? The noise is very noticeable, and I am certain that it did not exist prior to my latest visit to the dealer.

I am considering taking the vehicle to an independent mechanic this time, as the dealer repeatedly tells me that they aren't to blame, or I end up leaving the dealership with more problems than I arrived with. Would also appreciate any advice/input as to which would be the better approach to getting my problem solved.

Thank you.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Go back to the dealer and have them listen to it. If it wasn't there before then then need to fix it. It could be any number of things. A wheel bearing, something in the brakes, something in the suspension rubbing the wheel, etc.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:34 AM

I took it to a local (independent) mechanic who looked it over and found that the backing plates on the brakes were corroded pretty badly. He cleaned them up and I was good to go an hour later. Total cost: $40

He tells me that I can bring the car back any time and he'll replace the plates. I think he put the cost at $30-$50 apiece. Doesn't seem bad at all.

It appears that I was incorrect in my assertion that this had something to do with the recall work on the suspension... still, I find it odd that this problem would appear immediately after that work was done.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:40 AM

Actually, it appears that this problem was related to the suspension work after all. I heard from a mechanic who works on Hyundais and he said that when they replace the rear trailing arm, everything needs to come apart in the back. If the rotors are corroded and aren't installed back into their original position, then the rusted areas create friction as they rub against the surface, creating the noise that I was hearing.

Folks, keep this in mind if you take your vehicle in for recall 090.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Good info. Thanks for the update.