Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Major Oil leak - NEED Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:41 PM

I find when chaging the oil there are two options and one last resort:

1) Change it myself using OEM oil filter.

2) Have a reputable Hyundai dealer do it.

Last resort: Make sure insurance is paid up and set car on fire. At least I'll get some money instead of having my engine destroyed from the untrained monkey's at Jiffy Screwed!!

Note: The last resort part is sarcasm. Please don't really commit insurance fraud as it will most likely be punishable by some type of fine or jail time. This message brought to you by me.

Anyway, at least the lesson learned wasn't a catastrophic failure of your engine. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Default 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe - small oil leak

This is my second oil change since i've bought the car brand new and I change every 4000 miles. So I got the same problem with a small leak coming down from the transmission gearbox. I've replaced the oil filter & o-rings twice and the small leak still exists. The Service Tech recommended using OEM brand filter & O-rings to see if the leak will stop. I highly doubt it but its worth giving a try since they were going to charge me for another oil change which I could simply just buy the oil filter and do it myself.

In any case, does anyone know where to find the oil temp sensor and where it might be located?

Has anyone experience anything similar?

Anthony

Old 11-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Default O-Ring problem

I also had an oil leak from the Oil Filter Canister due to the top O-Ring. I used a Fram Oil filter made for the 2008 Sante Fe 3.3L and the filter does come with both O-Rings. However, Hyundai dealer told me the after market oil filters top O-Ring (the larger O-Ring) is slightly "squared off" and the Hyundai OEM one is more rounded. My dealer said it doesn't matter what after market oil filter you use the top O-Ring is not the same as the OEM O-Ring and will cause leaks from the canister. I purchased a few from my dealer ($12.00 ea) and this worked. The OEM filter also comes with the crush washer which you should replace with each oil change (the crush washer goes around the oil pan drain plug).

Old 12-11-2009, 06:24 AM
Default Major Oil leak NEED Advice

valve cover gasket is easy you can do that. and the oil pumps do leak alot on the motor, you will have to take off the crank pulley and timing belt to change it. it should take about a day of work if you stick to it and take your time. look at the back of the valve cover and then the crank pulley. they leak alot.. 1200? its a big hit, but with some basic tools you should be able to do it, or someone on the board can.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Unhappy Valve cover Passenger side oil leak 2007 Sante Fe

This has been an ongoing frustrating problem for me and today it is back again. I have had the vehicle in 3 times for repair and it seems okay for awhile then starts up again. One time it was so bad it leaked all over the alternator shorted it out and left me stranded on a highway in November for two hours at night. Not good! Today I had my oil changed and the mechanic tells me it is leaking again. It is just off warranty but I feel I should not have to go good for this! We shall see what Hyundai says about this. I decided to see if anyone else has been having this problem as the service manager tells me no one has but by the forum I see I am not the only one. It has been a great vehicle except for this issue, wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't 2 hours away 1 way from the Service department. I will probably not purchase another one as I have been very unhappy as far as this oil leak business which started at 40,000 km. I travel a lot of roads where there is no cell service and at all times of the night and very early morning so bought new as I wanted a dependable vehicle.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Lions1986
I also had an oil leak from the Oil Filter Canister due to the top O-Ring. I used a Fram Oil filter made for the 2008 Sante Fe 3.3L and the filter does come with both O-Rings. However, Hyundai dealer told me the after market oil filters top O-Ring (the larger O-Ring) is slightly "squared off" and the Hyundai OEM one is more rounded. My dealer said it doesn't matter what after market oil filter you use the top O-Ring is not the same as the OEM O-Ring and will cause leaks from the canister. I purchased a few from my dealer ($12.00 ea) and this worked. The OEM filter also comes with the crush washer which you should replace with each oil change (the crush washer goes around the oil pan drain plug).
Yup stay away from the aftermarket oil filters. After I had switched back to the OEM brand and my small oil leak I was experiencing went away. Now my motor burns oil quite often now.....great! Oh well, at least it's not leaking in my garage because I plan on running this car till the motor drops dead.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Default Valve cover Passenger side oil leak 2007 Sante Fe

I have a 2007 Sante Fe & have had this problem 3 times! I had it repaired under warranty at 85,000 Kms the second time and the other day when I had my oil changed it was back and all over the alternator again! I am at 112,000 km and they say as I am off warranty they will not honour it, I think they should as it has been an ongoing problem and should have lasted longer than 25,000 km. It is an obvious defect. I am some upset.

Originally Posted by CndRedCoat
I had the same issue, but the oil leak was not very big so they fixed it at the dealer and I kept and eye on it since, no leak.

Mine was not major like that!!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Red face Update on my problem

Originally Posted by Cynles
I have a 2007 Sante Fe & have had this problem 3 times! I had it repaired under warranty at 85,000 Kms the second time and the other day when I had my oil changed it was back and all over the alternator again! I am at 112,000 km and they say as I am off warranty they will not honour it, I think they should as it has been an ongoing problem and should have lasted longer than 25,000 km. It is an obvious defect. I am some upset.
So I now have this problem fixed for the 4th and lets hope final time! I also went over the service managers head and the owner of the dealership told me IF it was the same problem it would be fixed. Well it was the same problem and they did go good for it. I asked why this keeps happening and she admitted it is probably improper installation and if there is the slightest kink or anything it will not last. So now I am feeling better about driving this vehicle. the vehicle itself i love and it goes so good in the snow and handles very well.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Default Same problems occur to my car

Originally Posted by 07SanteFe
I am late to respond but my 2007 Limited had an oil leak and it was a valve cover. Replaced under warranty.. It was on the passenger side. Noticed a grime spot near the alternator. I hear these leaks are common..

I just got my 2007 santa fe from Private sale and notice a leak at passenger side on the valve cover. it leaks all over the alternator. I bring for service tomorrow and hopefully it will be fixed up !!

Old 11-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Default 07 sonata 3.3 dumping oil into alternator

Originally Posted by weilian
I just got my 2007 santa fe from Private sale and notice a leak at passenger side on the valve cover. it leaks all over the alternator. I bring for service tomorrow and hopefully it will be fixed up !!
took to dealer 3 times under warranty to fix oil leak come on they know whats goin on they could give a hit they did valve cover then oil pan then finally timing cover that fixed it they just try to where you down till warranty expires by the way valve cover and oil pan couple of hundred $ timing cover repair almost 2 grand just barely still under warranty little side alternator took a sht not covered under warranty of course i guarantee that it was directly related to oil leaking into it regardless of what of what dealer tells you and they are are supposed to be the pros scandalous i dont know how they sleep at night all i can say is hopefully you have alot of time on your hands and a second car dont let where you down {dealer}

Quick Reply: Major Oil leak - NEED Advice!