Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Need help ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 05:53 PM

Than clears things up a bit, I looked up the 2019, Nice! I didn't see a start button on those either, but it is not important, I may get one in 5 years or so...?

Old 07-05-2020, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
That's a long way to go just for routine service Maybe you might search around for a shop that is much closer and is willing to accept your business at a reasonable price.

When shops were few and far between a good relationship was essential for both the shop and the customer. Most shops appreciated the business and the customer was well treated and taken care of. City shops have a much larger business base and don't seem to value a customer as much as a country shop.
No matter what model vehicle you have , it will need service and repair eventually, so the more familiar the shop is with your vehicle the better. Sometimes we have little choice as to where to go for service, but it pays to build a good relationship with a local shop for a lot of reasons.I realize you didn't ask for this , but it is always a good idea to read and understand the info in the vehicle owner's manual , it pays in the long run.
Have several shops close to home "But" ! My 2019 S-F is warranted for 5 years bumper to bumper, 10 years 100,000 miles on the drive Trane. It would be insane for me to pay a local shop several hundred dollars to buy plus labor to replace the starter ….
H-day told me they would not pay any shop to do the work needed.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:50 AM

I believe the 100,000 mi warranty is good only if you are the original owner and purchased it new.
Are you the original owner? If you purchased it from someone else, might want to check that out.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:55 AM

I believe the 100,000 mi warranty is good only if you are the original owner and purchased it new.
Are you the original owner? If you purchased it from someone else, might want to check that out.
I purchased my S-F new.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:46 AM

When we purchase a new washer, dryer, car most of the time we just look for the best price. If an OEM parts supplier is within a fairly close distance for us who do a lot of their own work , that becomes an important consideration. Even then we get a surprise , when we felt the servicing agency is not too far away , they can close up and move too. I would certainly consider putting that item in my list of considerations next time I am looking to purchase a new vehicle. As we all know , there is always that possibility it will require special service and the` reliability of my selection is a VERY important .

Old 07-07-2020, 08:23 AM

When we purchase a new washer, dryer, car most of the time we just look for the best price. If an OEM parts supplier is within a fairly close distance for us who do a lot of their own work , that becomes an important consideration. Even then we get a surprise , when we felt the servicing agency is not too far away , they can close up and move too. I would certainly consider putting that item in my list of considerations next time I am looking to purchase a new vehicle. As we all know , there is always that possibility it will require special service and the` reliability of my selection is a VERY important .
Hindsight is 50/50 I learned my lesson. We have Ford, GM Chev-Caddy-Buick-FCA Dealers within 5 miles from home, did not want any of them. Toyota is 50 miles from home, that will be my next vehicle. Problem is H-Day & KIA Dealers are too far and few.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:47 AM

I had never thought of Hyundai, There is a dealer 2 miles away. The only reason I bought my first one is it was cheap(2011 for 1K, in mint condition) and I was going to rebuild the knocking engine, after I purchased it, I found it was covered by the recall(YAY!) and have been enjoying it for the last 2 months

Old 07-07-2020, 11:10 AM

Correct me if I am wrong,
It is really rewarding to get some good news once in a while, Thanks for sharing it with us.

Speaking for myself, try not to be super critical regarding some manufacturers, but there are some vehicles out there that have very good reputations for performance and reliability., and the shops can be some distance away. You hit the nail right on the head. Unfortunately, these tend to cost a little more, but it is worth it in the long run.
What do you think?

Old 07-07-2020, 12:01 PM

Sorry for off topic,
I think you are correct. Someone I know had a 2002?(maybe older) Hyundai (SantaFe?) at around 50K miles, the timing belt jumped, trashed the head, something also was wrong with the transmission before that, another friend has a small Hyundai (late 90's)falling apart with many small issues after less than 5 years, so I was biased against them for a while, I have been biased against Chrysler since the 80's, and every time I see a newer rusted out Dodge truck, it just reaffirms my bias. It takes me a long time to get over bad quality. Every person or company starts with an unknown reputation, from there it is earned, or lost depending on it's actions. In my book Hyundai could do much better, instead of forced recalls and class action suits, they should have been more proactive, and announced the real causes of the engine problems, and used redesigned or updated replacements for the failed ones, From my point of view, it's easy for us to be armchair quarterbacks, and think we know what's wrong with them, but until I can tear one down myself, there is not enough info on the failure progression.The engine has been in circulation for about 9 years, and even more recent engines have failed for the same reasons.

I also felt bad for the person I bought the Sonata from, as he lost so much from the failure, I contacted him later and directed him to the class action site, so he could get compensated for lost value from the sale.

Last edited by s-petersen; 07-07-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:59 PM

From what I have noticed so far, no manufacturer is exempt from problems although we wonder sometimes because so many of the problems seem to be corrected by reprogramming the computer..
One last comment, picture this,;
Two astronauts are sitting in a rocket waiting to blast off into space and one says to the other, "Just think, all this was built by the lowest bidder" !

Quick Reply: Need help ?