Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 AM

The problem with it died in the drive-thru was because of failed alternator, kinda hard to believe a 2yr old car with less than 40,000km would have a dead alternator!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by jjdevil999
Thanks everyone for their input, the twist to my issue was, this problem happens only in colder weather. I discovered this problem in winter of 08-09, and it disappeared during the summer of 09, then reappeared in winter of 09-10! Now the weather is a bit better now (temp in single digits to low teens), and I haven't experience this problem for last month or so..... Go figure!! Of course, when I bring the car into dealership, nothing is found as usual.
I was wondering if there has been any solution to the error p1693, I am having intermittent issues with starting the car. When I check fault codes with Andriod Torque via bluetooth I can see the error P1693.

Thanks

Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 PM

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum. Just picked up our 2013 sante fe yesterday. We had previously owned a 2008 and loved. But love the new ones ever more.

Anyway I came across this thread and wanted to share our starting problems. We had a similar problem where the vehicle wouldn't turn over nothing. Some times we would try a few times and it would but other times we would try 20 times. It was so random. After trying to get answers from the dealer they mentioned that if the indicator showing a key in it on the dash had to be lit up. If not the chip could be bad. So we bought a new key and same thing.

I began trying to figure this out and started looking at the after market command start we had installed. The installation was brutal to say the least. I brought it in to a place that specializes in command start installations and he showed me that these vehicles needed a bypass because of these chips in the key. So what happens is a factory key gets placed on a circuit board so that when you hit the command start it reads this Keys chip. Well our original brutal install simply tie wrapped the key onto the circuit board and he believed that this key was moving around and causing the problem. This guy showed us what they used and it was a little black box that housed this circuit board and it had a bracket that actually held the key in place. He installed this box and problem solved. We never had the issue again for the last 2 years we owned the vehicle.

Anyway just thought I would share our experience. Other than this we loved our 08 Santa Fe and we love our new one now.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2007SantaFe BIG RED
Yes the keys are chipped!

BIG RED

That's not correct. My daughter has a 2007 Santa Fe Limited that I had a plain, non chipped key cut and she's been using it for over a year. She went to start it this afternoon and after starting it died, now it won't start again, but cranks great. I suspect immobilizer issue, but no one has a fricken clue on the internet it seems. I checked a handful of relays and fuses with no luck. I would like to check fuel pressure, but for some reason can't find a damn fuel pressure port to hook a gauge up to!! Any help out there would be appreciated. I can't hear the fuel pumps, but it's highly unlikely both went out at the same time. Thanks, Jim