Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Strange Starting Problem on '04 Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Default Strange Starting Problem on '04 Santa Fe

I have a 2.7 6 cy. Santa Fe and it has always ran great - until last week. I drove about 45 miles and stopped, turned off the car. When I got back in, the car wouldn't crank. All the lights on the dash come on, the radio, headlights, and windows work fine - just not cranking. No clicking noise or any noise at all. AAA came and tried to jump it - no deal - had to be towed back home. Mechanic came the next day - and yep - you guessed it -it cranked right up. Car ran fine for a week of normal daily driving. Then ran to grocery store and it did the same thing again. AAA had to tow me again. Went to Auto Zone for a diagnosis - said battery was bad. Since battery was still under warranty - went to Advance Auto and got a new battery (even though their test said the battery was fine). Drove home and now it is doing the same thing again!! Is it the starter, alternator, security system problem?? Any help would be appreciated!!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a bad starter.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:36 AM

I have a 2002 Santa Fe 2.7 6 cyl and the same thing has happened to me except worse. The first time this happened I took the car to Sam's for them to check my battery that was still under warranty. They told me that my battery was fine and that they thought that it was a problem with my alarm. I took it to a mechanic and he told me that he couldn't figure it out. The problem got worse. The first time this happened it took about 15 min until it started, then 30 min, then 3 and 4 hrs, until it stopped and won't crank up at all. I'm trying to figure out who to take it to take it to besides the dealer who I'm sure will cost me an arm and a leg just to tell me what's wrong (if they can figure it out at all). If no one can help out I guess I will break down and take it to the dealer. Any one have any ideas.