Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Transmission fluid flush interval..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Angry azera transmission fluid flush cost

I just returned from having the 30,000 mi. service on my 2006 Azera. The dealer quoted me a price of $300 initially. During the day, they called to tell me they also were recommending a transmission fluid flush and coolant flush. Initially, they quoted me an additional cost of more than $300, on top of the initial cost for the service. After I protested, they reduced the price slightly. My total bill, in the end, after they applied a few coupon discounts, was $585. Needless to say, I was not pleased and felt I had been taken advantage of. I'm considering filing a complaint based on a charge of deliberate lowballing, and then raising the price.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by observer2
I just returned from having the 30,000 mi. service on my 2006 Azera. My total bill, in the end, after they applied a few coupon discounts, was $585. Needless to say, I was not pleased and felt I had been taken advantage of.
In 2007 I paid $351.87 for my 2004 Tiburon (oil and cabin air filter not changed)
In 2008 I paid $532.07 for my 2006 Tucson (full 30K and trans flush)
In 2008 I paid $475.64 for my 2006 Sedona (full 30K and trans flush)

I don't think you overpaid much.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:57 PM

Read up on transmission flushes and see what you find.
If you change your fluid regularly your transmission can
last a couple of hundred thousand miles. Flushing it
is basically like flushing your engine, which isn't recommended.
You could break up some sludge and create a problem.

Just like if you change your oil and filter regularly the same
goes for the transmission. Do it and you should have no
problems with sludge or other problems.

Finally, there isn't an auto maker out there who recommends
flushing the transmission. As a matter of fact, most will
tell you not to do it. Why do the dealers do it then? The same
reason why they'll sell you snake oils that won't work, to make
money.

John

Old 08-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kerryman71
Read up on transmission flushes and see what you find. If you change your fluid regularly your transmission can last a couple of hundred thousand miles. Flushing it is basically like flushing your engine, which isn't recommended. You could break up some sludge and create a problem.

Just like if you change your oil and filter regularly the same goes for the transmission. Do it and you should have no problems with sludge or other problems.

Finally, there isn't an auto maker out there who recommends flushing the transmission. As a matter of fact, most will tell you not to do it. Why do the dealers do it then? The same reason why they'll sell you snake oils that won't work, to make money.

John
Not totally true. Flushing an engine is a bad idea because of sludge, however that's not the case with an automatic.

Flushing an engine entails using a solvent to clean and that solvent is what breaks up the sludge. Flushing a transmission does not use a solvent. Flushing a trans just pumps out all the fluid. Unlike the engine oil, draining the trans via the pan only gets out a small portion of the trans fluid.

Also, unlike engine oil, trans fluid is also the coolant for the trans. Automatics generate a lot of heat and that heat breaks down the fluid. Replacing ALL of it regularly (by flushing instead of just draining) should be done.

While flushing an engine is not a good idea and not recommended by the car manufacturer, flushing a trans is a good idea.

http://cars.cartalk.com/content/advi...sionfluid.html
http://transmissionfluidfaq.com/The+...12949.htm?ra=1

Last edited by NovaResource; 08-05-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 PM

While I agree and appreciate much of what you said, I believe what a lot of people suggest. I've heard of people who have changed there fluid on a regular basis as recommended by the manufacturer and have over 300K on their transmission. Never flushed. I've heard of others who have flushed with no problems and then those who have flushed and shortly thereafter had a problem. I don't know what the flushing process is these days, but I know at one time it was under pressure which could cause problems.

I basically do what the manufacturer recommends and have never had a problem. As I said, if they recommend NOT doing it, why would you? I would check with Hyundai, and not the dealer or mechanic doing it, as to whether flushing it would void the warranty.

If I were ever to do it I would follow a DIY method on another forum for my truck that I frequent. Transmissions are something you don't want to mess with if not needed. As you know they can be very tempermental. I think if you change it enough and don't beat on it you should have no problems.

I just noticed the links you provided. I actually looked up CarTalk to see what their opinion would be on it when this "to flush or not to flush" debate was going on at the other forum I'm on. I found an article at one point in which they said don't do it. Then I found that one from a more recent article. I'm assuming Wynn provided them with some advertising money.

Anyway, I don't really care either way, I just wouldn't do it. Also, and maybe you can verify this, if someone were to do it, wouldn't it be suggested they do it only if they've been doing it all along? In other words, if you have high miles on it and only changed it in the past or even worse have not properly maintained it, couldn't it be a problem if you decided to give it a shot?

Last edited by NovaResource; 08-06-2009 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Merge posts
Old 08-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Hyundai does not recommend against transmission flushes. They recommend against engine flushes.

Yes, change your trans fluid every 2 years or 30K miles.
[/thread]

Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 AM

Cool. I know there are some people out there
who have said certain makers have told them not
to flush their transmission. I don't know if
Hyundai was one of them or not. Thanks.