Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Will not run over 3.000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:29 PM
cgd
Angry Will not run over 3.000 RPM

Hi everybody!
I notice that recently my Santa Fe does not run over 3.000 RPM in highway. Motor goes to close 3.000 RPM but does not shift to next speed and it feels as a lack of power, especially when uphill. Stopping, turning engine off and then on again seams to solve this problem, everything runs ok but suddenly the problem appears again.
Any idea?
My Hyundai is a 2007 New Santa Fe CRDI 2.2 (Diesel engine), automatic.
Thank you very much.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:07 AM

Hi there!
I'm having the exact same problems with my Sonata 2.0 crdi -07 Did You ever (You're post is from 8 years ago, but the problem is still among us..) figure out what caused this problem? When I'm starting up when cold. feels like power is -50% bearily getting up a small uphill..!!? When warms up not so bad, but still not taking over 3000rpm... If I after a longer drive ( 1 hour..) leave the car idling for a couple of minutes, then it suddenly "awakens" and when you hit the pedal you can for a brief moment experience that this car actually has the 140hp that it should have..!? Would be very much grateful if You could give me some hints of what could cause this kind of a problem... Thanks in advance and have a Merry Christmas! :-)

Old 12-15-2020, 04:04 PM

There are many things affected by temperature.
There are a few checks that pertain to fuel and ignition systems. These basic tests would need to be performed to confirm whether those systems are working correctly.
We don't know at this time which, if,,, one of these systems are involved.
What can be done would be to use a capable scan tool save/record the data stream info and compare it to a correctly operating system or look for what changes after it warms up and runs better.
Sometimes something that would not seem to be related can affect performance.
If for instance , the wrong amount of air entering the engine is registered, the computer will adjust the fuel according to that figure and limit engine RPM and power.
Something as simple as a poor electrical connection for a critical sensor can do this too. Quite a few items operate with very low voltage and the slightest questionable connection can affect info sent to the computer. Wish I could offer better suggestions, but the best way is to confirm the correct info is getting to where it needs to go.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:17 AM
Default Transmission issue

Hi I am having the same issue with my 2004 hyundai santa fe. I was driving to work and all of a sudden it wouldn't accelerate over 3000 rpm and wouldn't shift into 4th gear. I've talked with a couple of people I know who are mechanics and they either say it's a solenoid or the transmission is busted. Any help is appreciated

Old 07-15-2021, 03:11 PM

One of the systems modes is referred to as Limp Mode..
The vehicle design is such that if there is any problem where the engine will emit excess pollution or if a malfunction is detected that could cause damage to components the system will place the controls into Limp Mode. Different vehicles will have an illuminated check engine lamp, some will show a message of reduced power.
What is required is to have the vehicle checked out for any codes in the computer and this may provide some direction as to where to start checking..
One of the conditions of Limp Mode is, the vehicle starts out in third gear and will not shift out of it. This is to allow the operator to get to a service facility.
The vehicle computer picks up this problem and adjusts accordingly. Sometime when turning the key off and then back on it will undo limp mode until the malfunction appears again..
There could be many reasons why this happens and a good shop should be able to check it out and recommend what may be required to correct the problem.

Old 09-11-2021, 02:17 AM
Angry Exact same problem with hyuandai i40 (2015)

Originally Posted by cgd
Hi everybody!
I notice that recently my Santa Fe does not run over 3.000 RPM in highway. Motor goes to close 3.000 RPM but does not shift to next speed and it feels as a lack of power, especially when uphill. Stopping, turning engine off and then on again seams to solve this problem, everything runs ok but suddenly the problem appears again.
Any idea?
My Hyundai is a 2007 New Santa Fe CRDI 2.2 (Diesel engine), automatic.
Thank you very much.

I Have EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH HYUANDAI I40 (2015)... Faul CODE P1186 ( Fuel Pressure Regulator ) Minimmum Pressure too low. !! Went to hyuandai they changed diesel filter, did not help now they want me to change fuel pump instead of that bleeedngg Regulator Itself saying thats only sensor problem with fueling system... i am baffeled, ANY Help !!!