Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

01' Sonata Trunk problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Default 01' Sonata Trunk problems

Hello Everyone...

I am having some trunk issues and need some advice. About a week ago I went to open my trunk with my keys and suddenly for whatever reason...the keys no longer worked to open the trunk. You could put the key in the slot however you could not turn it at all to open. I found this odd and figured I would get it looked at later and just use the latch inside the car to open it until then.

Well- I know this was dumb now in retrospect- I went to Lowe's to get some flowers today and when I opened my trunk to put stuff in I noticed this switch thing. It said something to, and I am sorry, I cannot recall what it said. I thought this must be why my key isn't working...dumb. So I switched it and closed the trunk. When I got home...not only will my keys no longer open my trunk but now my lever no longer opens it either. You can pull the lever up but can tell it has no connection or power to release and open the trunk-if that makes sense. I can fold my seats down and am tiny enough to actually fit back in my trunk and move around, is there anything I can do from the inside of this trunk to get it to open so I can at least flip that switch back that will hopefully allow at least the lever to work to open my trunk? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

A couple of things:

1. How many keys do you have to the car? There are usually 2, a master key that will open all doors, the trunk, the glovebox and will work the ignition. The other key (called a sub key) is a valet key that will only open the doors and operate the ignition. It will not unlock the trunk or glovebox. So try the key in the glove box and see if it will lock or unlock it. If it doesn't, it's probably the valet (sub) key. You need to use the master key to open the trunk and glovebox. The master key is the key you should use everyday. The sub key is only to be given to a valet when they park your car.

2. The switch you moved on the trunk lid is to disconnect the lever on the floor from working to prevent a valet from getting into the trunk with the lever. Once you get the trunk open, move the switch back.

3. Use the master key to upen the trunk and change the switch back. If you don't have the master key, pull the rear seatbacks down, crawl into the trunk and push down on the switch in the trunk to open it from the inside.

Attached Thumbnails 01' Sonata Trunk problems-2001-sonata-1-2.jpg   01' Sonata Trunk problems-2001-sonata-1-39.jpg  
Old 06-21-2011, 01:16 PM

Do you know where the trunk lid **** is located inside the trunk? The keys I am using have always been the keys I have used to open the trunk and now they just do not work at all...so it looks like to open from the inside is the only way to at least reconnect to the lever. I appreciate your help/guidance.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

It's the same switch you moved that made the lever in the passenger compartment stop working. See the middle picture in the pic above on page 1-39.

Try the key in the glove box. Can you lock/unlock the glove box with it?