Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2001 Used Sonata Timing belt & other prob

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Default 2001 Used Sonata Timing belt & other prob

I just got a 2001 sonata from a dealer, The guy says he replaced the timing belt but he didnt give me any proof. He said that he is a retired hyundai mechanic himself and he replaced the belt.

I need to know how i can diagnose a timing belt problem by myself , I mean does it feel different to drive with a bad timing belt?. How can I understand when i do have a timing belt problem with my car when i am driving around.

I know it is better to get my belt checked by a mechanic but I am tired going around and asking mechanics to take a look at my car's timing belt, most of them are not interested to do so, they say they have to open up a lot and I have to come back later and leave the car for an entire day and stuff like that !!! ( I think they dont wanna do it becoz they dont have a good reason to make more money off me )

I am tired of doin that and I really dont have any other problem to pay the mechnic for !!

Please help me out !!

Problem 2:

When I am taking my foot off the car brake at a traffic stop or when the car has stopped completely ..... I get a squeaking sound , It happens when only when the car is starting to move. I dont get the sound when the car is moving. Only when it is completely stopped and resuming movement.

Is it something I should be worried about ??

Prob 3:

I have auto transmission and When I accelerate my car the rpm goes to 3000 or even 3300 depending on how i step on the gas and then the car shifts to the next gear. That effect is observed mostly in the first 2 gears. As i go to a higher gear that effect is not that visible

My friend says thats how V4 engines work, Is it true that they have to go to 3000 rpm before they shift ??

Thanks for the help !!!