Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2006 Sonata Intermittent Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:16 AM

Thanks.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Default 2007 lots of problems with starting

My son has a 2007 hyundai sonata. It wouldn't start. We took it to a mechanic who said it was the spark plugs. $230.00 ...car still wouldn't start. Then new coils $500.00 still wouldn't start. Finally they said "Inspected fuel delivery circuit and found green power wire to fuel pump was loose in connector". "Vehicle started and ran". In about a week it started the same thing...wouldn't start in mornings. Didn't take it back to mechanic as feared they were just draining money and not fixing it. Recently, he burned out the starter by trying to get it to start. Dealership replaced Starter $400.00. Today, after having a new starter installed last week...it won't start again. We are at wits end. I've read this forum but can't find this exact situation, so wondered if anyone has any ideas?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 PM

How many miles are on his 2007 Sonata? Too bad the mechanic you went to is taking you for a ride. Sounds like he doesn't have a clue how to troubleshoot a starting problem. Seriously, he is just throwing your money at the issue hoping he gets lucky.

Did you explain the problem and have the dealer check it out? They at least have much more knowledge of the specific car and any common problems and tendencies. I haven't heard of a problem like this before with this generation of Sonata. They have been very reliable. Maybe this particular car has a history that is causing some problems now such as being in a wreck, flood damage, etc.

In any event, you need to have a qualified, experienced person go through a proper troubleshooting procedure checking for air/fuel/spark and then following the source of the problem to it's origin.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by rallyman
How many miles are on his 2007 Sonata? Too bad the mechanic you went to is taking you for a ride. Sounds like he doesn't have a clue how to troubleshoot a starting problem. Seriously, he is just throwing your money at the issue hoping he gets lucky.

Did you explain the problem and have the dealer check it out? They at least have much more knowledge of the specific car and any common problems and tendencies. I haven't heard of a problem like this before with this generation of Sonata. They have been very reliable. Maybe this particular car has a history that is causing some problems now such as being in a wreck, flood damage, etc.

In any event, you need to have a qualified, experienced person go through a proper troubleshooting procedure checking for air/fuel/spark and then following the source of the problem to it's origin.
It has about 62,000 miles. I didn't mention that it also had a mass air flow sensor put on in August and it DID go to the dealer. It acted differently though as it would start but chugged and then stopped.

The starter I mentioned was put on by the dealer and "they checked everything out" as I had read them all the details of prior work done on the car and the diagnosis from the "mechanic".

Even though I disputed the charges, my credit card company sided with the merchant and I lost.

I'm on this forum because my son is trying to work and I'm the "ride" until this gets resolved. It's been very frustrating.

PS: Thanks for your post.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 PM

So I have a slightly similar electrical issue... two of them actually...

I have a 2006 Sonata 33k miles had owned it for a while and then one day I locked it via the remote door lock two clicks and it locks the front door then on the second click starts the car and the head/tailights and radio start flashing on and off intermittently and I can't unlock the car with the remote unlock the drivers side door with the key hitting the brake shuts the car off. To my knowledge the car is not supposed to have a remote starter in it.

So this doesn't happen again until a month later happens twice in a row. Then nothing for another few months. Once more. Now two nights in a row it has happened 3 times (including when I tried to lock the rear door with the key not the remote it would lock the drivers door then instead of locking the rear doors the car would start) and twice with the remote the following night. Locked the car on the third attempt.

Any ideas?

Other issue would be hitting a puddle with all the melt that has been occurring and loosing voltage and power steering should this be considered normal? Or have I lost insulation allowing a water induced short somewhere? Happened two different days now.

Thank you for your time

Old 03-12-2011, 06:42 PM

I think the previous owner must have installed a remote starter in the car but the remotes didn't make it to you when you bought the car. The wiring that was done to install it was not done very well and is now causing you problems. I don't see how the car could start using the factory key fobs unless someone has been messing with the wiring.

For your second issue keep in mind the power steering is a hydraulic system so you shouldn't lose the power assist unless the engine stops or the serpentine belt is no longer turning the power steering pump. You mentioned 'losing voltage'. Did the engine stall? Maybe the water got onto the alternator and power steering pulleys causing the belt to slip.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:31 PM

So I spent a while poking around my engine compartment with a flashlight eventually found a sticker saying the car has been equipped with a DEI remote starter system I'll have to chase that one down.

On hitting puddles the voltage indicator light on the dash would come on for a bit and moving the steering wheel would become physically difficult but not impossible. So yes it sounds like your hypothesis of a slipping serpentine is correct as that refers to the alternator no longer charging the battery correct? (Engine never stalled)
Thank you good sir!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by freygrimrod
On hitting puddles the voltage indicator light on the dash would come on for a bit and moving the steering wheel would become physically difficult but not impossible. So yes it sounds like your hypothesis of a slipping serpentine is correct as that refers to the alternator no longer charging the battery correct? (Engine never stalled)
Thank you good sir!

Look for the crank pulley to be seperating/seperated from center hub... I assume we is playing with the V6...

Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM

my 2006 is doing same thing have replaced alt, multifunction switch, brakelight switch in electrical shop now for past week and guess what everything working perfect cant get lights or radio to cut out like does on me. did you ever figure out what is causing this weird function?????????

Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Default intermitten electrical problems

my 2006 sonota has lights dimming, abs,esc,brake warning light on dash, radio going off, been to dealer 4 times in 3 weeks replaced battery, alt, brakelight switch multifunction switch and still doing same thing.its at electrical shop now for past week and wont act up for them, has anyone figured out what causes this driving me crazy.

Quick Reply: 2006 Sonata Intermittent Electrical Problems