Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2006 Sonata Passenger Side Air Bag Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Default 2006 Sonata Passenger Side Air Bag Issue

Hello!

I just bought an 06, and when I test drove it alone, the Passenger Air Bag light didn't seem to come on (or I didn't notice it).

When I have a passenger in the car, the light goes off, like it should. When I'm alone, the light comes on and stays on. I don't really care if it's off, if there's nobody in the passenger seat. I understand it's for when there's a child or a light-weight adult, but when I've got nothing there, should it really be coming on at all?

I called Customer Relations first, and he said that's how it works. He also confirmed that the car had never gone in for the recall for a passenger air bag issue, but it sounds like it's working the way it should.

Should I be concerned, or is this light working the way it should be?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like it works as designed.

When there is nobody in the seat, the light goes on to say "Passenger Airbag OFF" and the airbag will not deploy in the event of an accident.

When there is an adult in the seat, the light will go off meaning the airbag is operational and will deploy in the even of an accident.

When a small child is in the seat, the light may or may not go off depending if the child is heavy enough. Sometimes, the light will go off and then go back on again. This is not a good situation and means the child is not big enough to sit in the front seat and should be placed in the back seat.