Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2008 Sonata Brakes

Old 04-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Default 2008 Sonata Brakes

So i've got a 2008 Sonata, 4cyl, with 22,000 miles on it and come to find out at an oil change today that I need new rear pads and rotors. When I got my last oil change the place, a different one then this last oil change, did indeed say I would need new brakes around the time of my next oil change.
I have called a few places and got quotes of $400 and up. Some of the places I called though were actually quite shocked that I was in need of new brakes this soon.
Long story short, is it out of the ordinary to need new pads and rotors at 22,000 and is $400 a reasonable price?
Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Banned

Others have complained about the same problem. For whatever reason, the rear brakes are grabbing much harder than the fronts, which is a contradiction. Probably the factory is using the cheapest pads they can find, which would be pure organic, very soft.

If I were you, I'd take a look at the rotors in the rear and try to see if they have wear ridges in them from the pads wearing down to the metal. If so, then yes, you need new rotors. I'd go out and buy some nice ceramic pads for all around in the least. That should solve the problem.

Here's a complete set of rotors and pads on eBay for around $190 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...Q5fAccessories

Old 04-30-2009, 07:16 PM

I've never bought auto parts online. How are shops about installing parts you do not buy from them?

Old 04-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Banned

You'll have to call around and ask them. I've done it before, but I usually install my own parts.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Default brakes

You need rotors and pads. I have heard the same thing with Santa Fe models. Just the right rear goes. I just checked mine at 30K, no problem.
I'm not sure why but there is an aluminum bracket that shouldn't rust. So I suspect it's the brake caliper somehow. Unless the caliper slides were never lubed.

If you are very knowledgeable... you can do this.. I would suggest help if it's your first time and you better own basic wrench set.
My first brake shoe repair was in 1970.

http://www.butkus.org/repair/rotors/...hyundia_07.htm

Old 05-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Default Problems with Sonata Brakes

A chirping noise on my 2-yr old Sonata sent me to the dealer and $400 later I learned that salt on New England roads is rusting out Hyundai brakes. I was told I should have them serviced every 15,000 miles. My dealer said this is a problem they have been seeing and they have complained to Hyundai with no results.

I've been driving cars on New England roads for 40 years and I've never had this problem before (except for a Pinto where everything rusted out). I am NOT happy. Until now I thought this car was great. Now I no longer trust it. Here are some more Sonata drivers experiencing this problem.

Sounds to me like they need another recall.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by carpsmarsh
A chirping noise on my 2-yr old Sonata sent me to the dealer and $400 later I learned that salt on New England roads is rusting out Hyundai brakes. I was told I should have them serviced every 15,000 miles. My dealer said this is a problem they have been seeing and they have complained to Hyundai with no results.

I've been driving cars on New England roads for 40 years and I've never had this problem before (except for a Pinto where everything rusted out). I am NOT happy. Until now I thought this car was great. Now I no longer trust it. Here are some more Sonata drivers experiencing this problem.

Sounds to me like they need another recall.
Did you have front and rear replaced or just rear? And you say service every 15k, is this something that goes away with new rotors and pads or is there a larger underlying problem with other parts in the brake system?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:45 PM

Invoice says "20442 LR pads separating locked in slides resurfaced rear rotors, replaced pads, adjusted park brake, and serviced front brakes."

So it looks like they felt the need to do the front brakes, too. Sounds to me like the material used on the brake pads doesn't hold up to the salt on our winter roads; they corrode way too quickly. Apparently I have to get the rust ground off on a regular basis. Never had to do this with any other car.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:00 AM
Banned

Ahhhh Haaa... (Dum, dum, dum... the plot thickens!)

Now it makes sense. The steel plate used for the rear brake pads are cheap quality, they rust, get seized in the caliper, and burn up the rotor and pad! They probably fit too tight in the caliper slide also.

It's a good idea to grease the slides, but commonly not done. On my Lexus the have an additional stainless steel slide insert, so it will never rust to the pad.

It probably warrants an investigation by the NTSB and a recall.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:35 PM

You may have an imbalance, i have 75k on origional pads on rotors mostly highway, this is on an '06 Sonata GLS may the EBD is off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Sonata Brakes