Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2008 Sonata Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HankC
If a brake locked up as low as 20K miles. It is not normal. I happen to be a person always do brake jobs on my own and happen to work with a brake company before and have access to GM and Chrysler warranty system and aware of the issues. A brake problem this early is not normal. Yes, it is always nice to send your car to dealership to check and service brake regularly, but if a brake is designed to rely on it and failed this early, it is a problem. I do know the difference between drum brake and disc brake by the way.
Again, it is a wear item. Yes, if it failed in fewer than 12k miles it would be a warranty item but it didn't. I understand it sucks but that's part of car ownership. Owning a vehicle requires maintenance and INSPECTIONS. Check your owners manual and you will see (on page 5-5) that the brakes are to be inspected every 7,500 miles or every 6 months (Line #8 BRAKE PADS, CALIPERS AND ROTORS). So at 20k miles your rear brakes should have been inspected at least twice. Were they? I doubt it. And the brakes should be inspected even more often if you drive in the winter where they use salt on the roads.

So bottom line: wear item, not warranty.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Default It Seems

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Again, it is a wear item. Yes, if it failed in fewer than 12k miles it would be a warranty item but it didn't. I understand it sucks but that's part of car ownership. Owning a vehicle requires maintenance and INSPECTIONS. Check your owners manual and you will see (on page 5-5) that the brakes are to be inspected every 7,500 miles or every 6 months (Line #8 BRAKE PADS, CALIPERS AND ROTORS). So at 20k miles your rear brakes should have been inspected at least twice. Were they? I doubt it. And the brakes should be inspected even more often if you drive in the winter where they use salt on the roads.

So bottom line: wear item, not warranty.
It seems a dispute over terminology. Technically it was over 12,000 miles. This statement and not acknowledging this kind of wear is abnormal. This makes you sound like a company rep. posing on the blog, sticking to the company position. Why not state it is abnormal, now here is how you as an owner can deal with it. Isn't that what we are here for? If this seems to be a repeating problem, you could have a lemon. Every manufacturer has some. Watch the blog it could be a common problem to your year and model. That would be poor engineering and at least you are aware. If it is poor engineering - it sounds like Hyundai doesn't have your back - live / learn / post and share your experience please. We bought our Sonata 08" from enterprise. It still has its mfg. warranty. We have the same problem. The dealer can't find any problem, imagine that. The passenger airbag light came on, we are on our 7th week awaiting the replacement part. It looks like we are on our own. If the mfg. is this undependable on a safety issue you have to wonder if their not worried about potential lawsuits because more pressing issues of keeping the doors open in the short term come first.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Default Hyundai Brakes

I had my 2008 Santa Fe checked at the specified times by the dealer and it still cost me $700 to have my brakes repaired in under 20K. My previous car had this type of repair at 200K.

Headquarters showed an interest for a while until I was too persistent to get a final answer. I don't buy new vehicles to pay large service bills in the first year. Blamed it on salt, never happened with any other vehicle.

First time I ever traded a vehicle before three years. Everything is good now. Recall is necessary, it is a common problem.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tonyguitar101
It seems a dispute over terminology. Technically it was over 12,000 miles. This statement and not acknowledging this kind of wear is abnormal.
No dispute at all. Check the owners manual. Over 12K miles, it's no longer under warranty. End of story.

This makes you sound like a company rep. posing on the blog, sticking to the company position. Why not state it is abnormal, now here is how you as an owner can deal with it.
As I've said numerous times, I do not work for Hyundai. You want to know how to deal with it? Get regular maintenance and checkups.

Isn't that what we are here for? If this seems to be a repeating problem, you could have a lemon.
A lemon is a problem on a new car less than 1 year old that has been in the shop for a certain amount of times with the dealer unable to fix the problem. Worn brakes on a used car that were fixed by a dealer is not a lemon. get your facts straight.

Every manufacturer has some. Watch the blog it could be a common problem to your year and model. That would be poor engineering and at least you are aware.
Nope. Poor maintenence.

If it is poor engineering - it sounds like Hyundai doesn't have your back - live / learn / post and share your experience please. We bought our Sonata 08" from enterprise. It still has its mfg. warranty. We have the same problem. The dealer can't find any problem, imagine that. The passenger airbag light came on, we are on our 7th week awaiting the replacement part. It looks like we are on our own. If the mfg. is this undependable on a safety issue you have to wonder if their not worried about potential lawsuits because more pressing issues of keeping the doors open in the short term come first.
So you bought a used car from a rental car company. I think that's your problem right there, not Hyundai engineering.