Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2008 Sonata GLS Intermittent Instrument Cluster on dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Default 2008 Sonata GLS Intermittent Instrument Cluster on dashboard

I have a 2008 Hyundai Sonata and recently noticed some odd issues with the instrumentation panel on the dashboard.

The odometer, fuel guage, speedometer don't work and if they do, they do so intermittently, I am attaching a picture and a video. I am hoping someone on here can help me out and point me to what exactly is wrong. I reside in Nigeria so getting a dealership is a herculean task and would cost me an arm and a leg, but if I can get help here and order the right part, I can easily drive it in to the dealership for repairs. Cheaper if I buy the part my self and pay for service.

Thank you

Below is a link to a video showing the behavior of the clusters on the dashboard.

Video showing dashboard

Old 12-04-2019, 05:05 PM

Unfortunately the link brought up a 404 error. But I still maybe able to point you to something. I once had a Ford Windstar that made instrument panel shenanigans.I took it out and disassembled it. I did not see anything particularly bad but after putting it back together it worked again. These things are layered like a cake. There are some pins that go from the printed circuit board to the stepper motors etc. By pulling it apart and putting it back together some corrosion got removed and restored the contact. Also some BMW have had problems with bad solder points in the instrument panel.
In your case I would take it out and inspect it carefully. Watch some videos on fixing modern instrument panels of any make to get an idea of what to look for. Good luck, and hopefully you can keep all of your extremities!