Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2009 Limited V6 1yr and 7 Navi units later

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Angry 2009 Limited V6 1yr and 7 Navi units later

I've owned my Sonata since june of 08. The Navi unit has failed 7 times since then. The dealer sites the Radio manufacturer for the fault and claims there is no issue with my car's electrical system. I have checked with my local comsumer affairs department and they claim I cannot enforce the lemon law, as it is not a dirveability issue. My question for you readers is; what would you do/ask for? This much I can tell you; I will NEVER again buy a Hyundai vehicle after this experience and the terrible resale value (14,500 for a 24,000 car in 1 year??? that's a 10K hit!).

As always; input is greatly accepted and appreciated!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:00 PM

Poor resale value is the #1 reason my next Hyundai will likely be a year old Sonata, maybe a 2 year old Genesis. Hopefully in a few years the resale value will start to improve now that the products are getting so much better. Definitely skip in dash nav in the future. You can buy a removable GPS for $150 now. Build in nav is the biggest rip-off in the auto industry. Pure profit on their part.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:47 AM

7 Nav heads in a year?? I'd be looking for something else in the environment in which I operate the vehicle, since not a lot of folks are talking about failures of these units.

What I'm trying to say is; are you anywhere near some type of high-powered radio, microwave or electrical power sources? Within a couple hundred feet of a TV or Radio tower? Near a cell tower with little 'dishes' (microwave antenna) on the sides of it? Within a couple hundred feet of some big power lines?? Improperly grounded radio chassis or breaks in the antenna shielding/radio chassis can lead to EMI interference, or the failure if the unit being interfered with.

It's a waaaaay rare problem, but then so is yours.... Just a thought.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Default Specific problem?

Can you explain in a little more detail exactly what was wrong with the units? I have a 2009 Limited also (4-cyl., though) and my navigation system has been acting up from time to time. Usually the problem is that the map disappears from the screen, or the screen freezes. That's happened several times. The most recent failure was a Windows error message. Sometimes shutting it down solves the problem, but not always. (Is there some sort of reset feature available?)

Anyway, I'd like to know if your problem was similar. And if it's worth trying to get it replaced while still under warranty. (I bought mine in December 2008.)

Old 03-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Default AM/FM Radio Stops working

I am on my third unit because the am/fm radio stops working (all of the other functions work fine). I suspect that this may be due to connectivity issues that I have had with my Ipod Touch ever since the OS 3 came out, as the last time I got a connection error the am radio suddenly stopped working.

My dealer doesn't know why this happens, but it is covered by the warranty.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:56 PM

2009 SONATA NAVIGATION SYSTEM REPLACEMENT
(CAMPAIGN TA6)

IMPORTANT: DEALERS MUST PERFORM THIS CAMPAIGN ON ALL AFFECTED
VEHICLES WHENEVER AN AFFECTED VEHICLE IS IN THE SHOP
FOR ANY MAINTENANCE OR REPAIR.

IMPORTANT: WHEN A VEHICLE ARRIVES AT THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT,
ACCESS HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA'S "WARRANTY VEHICLE
INFORMATION" SCREEN VIA WEBDCS TO IDENTIFY OPEN
CAMPAIGNS.

DESCRIPTION:
This bulletin describes the procedure to remove and replace the Sonata navigation unit.

VEHICLES AFFECTED:
2009 Sonata vehicles equipped with the Navigation System that were sold between
September 1, 2008 to February 28, 2009.

PARTS INFORMATION:

PART NAME----------- PART NUMBER

Navigation Unit ---------00201-F9005 FLT

Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Default 09 Hyundai Sonata V6 Limited Nav problems

I know what you are saying. I already had 3 units replaced. I gave up with the problems and have been living by it until yesterday. when an error kept on showing up. Yesterday i made an appointment for friday to bring my car in. Does any one know if we can complain to the right people and get a refund of the money we paid for the navigation unit. I feel i can get a better NAV.

Look up this info:
About a year ago, the closest dealership to me got sold to another company. I bought my car from a dealership an hour away from me cause i got an incredible deal. When i went in to the new dealership to ask for a replacement NAV, after they analyzed and i needed a new NAV. They told me that i have to go to the dealership i bought the car from. I gave a call to the dealership i bought the car from and they said to tell them i contacted the Bureau. Im not sure exactly what kind of bureau it is but it really freaks out the dealership. Right when i called up the new dealership close to me and told them i talked to hyundai's bureau, They said bring the car in and they even gave me a rental for free. Now i think we all can figure something out to complain to the bureau and ask for our refund, since almost everyone i know that has a hyundai NAV, is having the same problem

For more questions please email me at erry@peerbhaiusa.com

Last edited by errysherali; 03-30-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:56 AM

I bought my 2009 Sonata Limited in July of 2008.
Does this mean my Nav is not covered for this replacement?
I have ahad a few issues of freezing and the navigation not starting until restart the car.
I have been in to the shop and they refude to replace unless they can see the issue in person. I could never get it to reproduce on hand.
Anyone have this similar issue?