Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2009 Sontat - First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Default 2009 Sontat - First Oil Change

I did my first oil change on the Sonata last night (mileage approximately 2,960) and overall it went pretty smoothly.

I pulled the car onto my ramps and was relieved to see the oil drain plug is rear facing. This allows more of the oil to drain out when the car is raised in the front...making sense because you generally have to raise the front of the car to gain access to the plug.
It amazes my Corvette has a front facing plug, causing me to lift the front to gain access to the plug and then raise the rear even high than the front so the oil will drain out.
Tightened the Sonata oil drain plug back to 30 pounds.

I tried loosening the oil filter with just my hands via the hole in the plastic shroud. No dice, it was on there too tight.
So I removed the entire shroud to allow my oil filter wrench better access to remove the filter.
I don't know what Hulk of a man put this filter on at the factory (probably a machine) but I had to grip the filter so tightly with the filter wrench that I was literally crushing the filter with the wrench. Absolutely ridiculous how tight it was. Must have been close to 65 or 70 pounds of torque?
I was relieved when the filter finally began to turn and nothing appeared damaged upon its removal. Filled the new filter with oil and screwed it on.

I put all of the plastic shrouding back on but was disappointed to see that one of the screw holes was stripped. Keep in mind all I did was remove the screw. Upon putting it back, I could just stick the screw in the hole with no turning – completely stripped. I double-checked the other screws to ensure they weren't different sizes…they were all the same. Apparently the hole was stripped at the manufacturer.

Drove the car. No leaks. Everything is fine.
The next oil change promises to be MUCH EASIER since the oil filter is reasonably torqued down.

Last edited by FASST LN; 11-10-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:01 AM

I have both a 2008 and 2009 Sonata. Have changed the oil in the 2008 and it had an access hole to reach the filter. With a rachet wrench, extension and filter wrench it was otherwise quite easy to remove with no oil leakage. It was a piece of cake. I used the ramps and a 2/6 board in front to keep from hitting the front fascia. I got the filter down at NAPA and one also needs the proper wrench to fit it which they also sell. I'm sure any number of filters will work, however. I'd invest in the filter wrench so you can get at it easier. Otherwise you will have to go through the aggravation you describe.

Last edited by rmissourimule; 12-10-2009 at 10:04 AM.