Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:47 PM

I drove 2-2.0T SE's in my search, both at different dealers, and in neither car did I experience the pull. I am grateful to the forums here for bringing it up as a point to look for when purchasing the car, so I did know what bugs to look for.

BTW, I love this car!!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Default 11 SE 2.0T Pull Left

Bought this on 2/14/11. Loved it as I had my 2008 traded at 85k with zero problems. Trip home, noted pulling to left. Made service appointment. Drove 699 miles and it pulling to left - however, not consistent - sometimes more than other [even considering road crown]. Service tried to align and were consulting with Hyundai. Kept it for week-end. Picked it up Monday was told new driver side strut ordered. Just dropped it off for another 2 day stay for strut and realign.

PS: At 1,000 miles my Nitrogen no leak tires had to be refilled as my light on dash came up. Luckily was near a Hyundai dealer and he refilled for free.

JD Power won't get a good review on this one.

I wonder if they are going to try the MDPS unit on electronic steering along with the steering angle and torque sensor. If it doesn't sense correctly, it will apply pressure and cause a turn. This makes more sense than alignment.

I'll keep up posting what they try.

Last edited by dps1947; 02-25-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:29 PM

I have a 2011 Sonata with 1300 Kilometers.The trip odometer shows me 15.3 K per 100 liters which translates to 19 Miles per Gallon.Not Great,I don't idle although 90% of my driving is in the city.
I'm wondering if things will improve as the car is "broken in?"

Old 03-06-2011, 09:01 AM

I bought an SE about two weeks ago. When I purchased it I was oblivious to all consumer complaints and went in a blank slate. I had, however, researched all the trims. I knew I was interested in an SE, and they had one in the color I liked so I asked to test it out. The test drive was smooth, fun and the car felt a bit fancier than its price tag. I liked it and decided to purchase it while trading in my '04 Santa Fe that had given me 130K miles with very little issues.

After reading the steering stuff I got paranoid. I drove my car trying to decide if I was having the problem. After driving the car while focusing on the issue I have to conclude that the car does not have any issues like this. I drive fast and tend to stay in the left lane. I noticed a subtle left drift, which happens in all cars when you stay in the left lane because of how the road is crowned. To placebo check my test I drove in the center and right lanes. The center lane made me drift which ever direction the steering wheel was sublty tilted; normal imo for the stiffer, weightier steering experience you should find in an SE model. The right lane, sure enough, tends to go with the crown as well.

I called the dealer to ensure all tweaks were done and he verified the steering on my vehicle was inspected, tightened and tested before I ever test drove it. He was open in telling me it needed a software update and met with me yesterday morning to take care of it. The car feels pretty darn good at this point I must say.

So my fiance and I are happy with our purchase and we liked that our Hyundai dealer was upfront about what recalls had been addressed and not addressed. Most all design and mechanical overhauls on car models result in a few bumps when they get released. As a wise mechanic and car collector once told me: it's not the type of recall that's important, it's how the company communicates and works with its customers to correct the issue that is.

**************** So now with a brief question in my long post (thanks if you're still reading).

I'm breaking in the car and I have about 700 miles on it now. I picked it up with 240 on it. It was a dealer transfer that probably had about 10 test drives on it. As I said, I tend to drive fast. This is also my first ever automatic, I've always had a manual transmission. As a result I use the paddle shifters very liberally, downshifting and running up the rpms often on starts and downshifting on the highway to pass. Yesterday I noticed the recommended break in instructions and it said to take it easy for the first 600 miles, which I clearly have not.

Should I just be good and drive conservatively to assist with breaking the car in at this point? Is the break in period something I should concern myself with? Have I negatively impacted the car by driving it how I did since I purchased it?

Thanks for any feedback, I hope I've contributed some info of use as well.

Last edited by medeski7; 03-06-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

You don't have to do anything out of the ordinary to break in the car. Just drive it normally and you will be fine.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Default 2011 Sonata SE T2.0 Steering Left

Bought my new 2011 Sonata SE T2.0 14 Feb and it pulled left. Car was assembled in Oct 10. Dealer tried alignment. Didn't work. Ordered new driver side strut and installed. Drove it 500 miles last week and it doesn't pull left - seems to have a right pull, but not all the time -- and I'm taking into account road crown. The steering feel and pull are inconsistent. Could it be the electric steering?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
A small number of people are having a problem. The majority are fine. Go test drive one. If it pulls, don't buy it. If it drives fine, buy it.
Good advice.

I drove test drove three different Sonatas over the past several weeks - 2.4 GLS, 2.4 Limited, 2.0T Limited - none pulled left.

I purchased a 2.0T Limited last week - doesn't pull left.

Jaeger

Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 PM

So what if you have that pulls, can't return it now, 3 mos old. What is the difference in mine and the ones on the lot. If the new ones don't pull, then that means they know what is wrong and should fix mine. And mine wasn't doing it right when I bought it. I also, not always, when driving over a bump or reflector on the road or speed bump, I get a almost rattling noise / sensation in the steering wheel. Like something is loose. Both of my issues, next wed will be my 4th trip in, have not been resolved.

Any ideas

Old 12-10-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jaeger
Good advice.

I drove test drove three different Sonatas over the past several weeks - 2.4 GLS, 2.4 Limited, 2.0T Limited - none pulled left.

I purchased a 2.0T Limited last week - doesn't pull left.

Jaeger
Hello All I'm almost buying a 2012 Sonata Turbo limited w/o Nav.
I would highly appreciate if u good Ppl can share your Exp. good/ bad so faar! MPG????

Old 12-11-2011, 06:14 AM

Super has good advice. I bought a 2011 Sonata Limited Turbo and have carefully documented the steering issues with it both with the dealer and with Hyundai. Allignment helped the highway speed left drift. Have not been able to correct the moderate left pull at town driving speeds. Here is what it does. Normal town acceleration pulls to left and is more stronger coming out of right hand turns and gradual right hand curves. Hard acceleration at lower speeds or from stops it does not pull. Dealers call it torque pull because of different lengths of drive shafts. I don't understand why if this is the issue why not all 2011's don't exhibit the same problem. Some of the past threads talk about bending the frame to correct the issue. My dealer has stopped that procedure but use to have it as one of the fixes. I think there is a design problem. Outside of that love the car.
Mine is a 2012 GLS. When I test drove the car there was a slight drift to the right which was fixed with an alignment. After I purchased the car, I recieved a note saying that my Sonata was part of a recall and I took it in. They had set up a test track at the back of the dealership. They ran my auto through the test track and then told me they had to change the bolts for the camber to correct a slight steering response problem.

This was done and they put it on the alignment machine. The problem is long gone. the service manager explained that the bolt were longer to allow more adjustment. It was not a big problem and did not take a great amount of time.

Quick Reply: 2011 Sonata