Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Default Pull Left and Issues: Update

I've been remiss. I posted about my 2011 Sonata 2.0T pulling left just after I bought it on 2/14/11. Since then, I now have 21,000 miles -- all of them extremely good miles.

Dealer kept working on the pull. Finally changed the left strut and it was completely fixed. Shortly thereafter, there was a recall issued. Seems that there was a bad batch of struts over a short period of time. Hyundai recalled all of the affected cars and made it right. My dealer also had an update to steering [electrical power steering] that was done. At 21,000 I have absolutely NO issues now with steering.

Dealer also did an engine software update. I use my car in business and keep very meticulous records. I track fuel mileage monthly and at each fill-up. The indicator gauge for fuel efficiency is incorrect from 5 to 10%. I don't do much in town driving and much is on interstate. I average from 31.5 up to a max one month of 34 MPG. That is taking odometer reading and dividing by gallons measured by gasoline pump to hundredths of a gallon for a month.

I do not put my foot in throttle, I drive at 65 on interstate and 55 - 60 on state highways. HOWEVER, when I need the power to pass or get onto the freeway, I am extremely pleased with the power of my 2.0T, because it will fly -- but it will really hit the MPG hard.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:27 AM

My 2011 Turbo has been pretty much flawless for the 8 months or so that I've owned it. It never pulled left, but the dealer performed the TSB on it anyway at the last scheduled service. I still think it offers an unbeatable performance / luxury value proposition in the midsize segment, with the exception maybe of the Optima SX.

Highway mpg has consistently been in the 31-34 range. My speeds are moderate.

I drove with the Active ECO button engaged for an entire week to try to get a sense of what it offered. My conclusion - I doubt I'll ever turn it on again. It makes the car drive like crap (mutes the throttle respose and gives the transmission a double-dose of valium) and doesn't yield any significant improvement in fuel economy.

Just put on a set of snows mounted on dedicated rims (dropped down a size to 17") so I'm ready for the white stuff.

Bottom line - still as happy with my choice as the day I bought it.

Jaeger