Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata SE Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by MisterRoy
No, the alignment didn't fix the problem, but it really isn't a drift. It's more an over-correction when the steering wheel is returning from the turn. It goes past center to and stops turned a little to the left. If the steering wheel is centered, the car goes straight. However, while I am going straight, the steering wheel will try to go back to that "a little left" position. So, it seems like there is some mis-calibration somewhere. Other than that, the car is fantastic.

I called the dealer and I am taking it back to them after work. 2 trips to the shop in 5 days of owning the car. At least they are giving me a loaner.

I hope this isn't a pattern that will be developing.

After reading, I noticed that I neglected to say that I can get it to over correct the opposite way if I tug on the wheel real quick and let go. It will over correct itself to the right sometimes, but also it will go center or be on that left side. Seems to be inconsistent turning left but consistent turning right or going straight.

I am taking it in tonight - I will let them figure it out. Four times in the shop for the same issue and there are some Lemon Law issues. I hope it doesn't get that far, I really like the car and want to keep it.
My wife and I are in the same boat. We purchased our SE on 10/25 and it has been back at the service department on 11/1, 3, and 7 for the exact same issues. We are currently in a loaner from our dealership while they are trying to figure out the problem. A Hyundai factory representative was involved in our cars issues yesterday. He drove the car and was made aware of the problems we've experienced and concurred that there was an issue. He called Hyundai and advised some of the engineers of the corrections that the dealership has attempted...alignments, tire rotations, and tire repalcements. I am by no means an ASE certified mechanic, but I did work for a tire and auto repair franchise during my college years and know a bit about what's good info and what's BS! I have explained to the dealership that I know when a car that drives straight occasionally, pulls left and has the steering wheel **** off center 5-10 degrees occasionally, then pulls right occasionally, does not have to do with the tires or alignment. If it were tires or alignment, it would happen always and not switch from left to right. These fools, led by a female service adivsor (sorry, but true) keep trying things that I know aren't going to fix the problem! Now we are waiting on word back from the factory service rep on what the next step is...WTF, there is obviously a problem with the electronic assist power steering that no one at this dealership seems willing to admit hearing about prior to our issue. We really like this car otherwise, and our sales rep who sold us the car has been great, involving himself in the resolution of this problem, and calling and informing us of the details of the service departments progress. KY has a 4 times/12mo/12K miles Lemon Law. I will hate to have to use this, but if they don't fix this problem soon, we will. We have owned this car less than a month, have had it to the service department 3 times for the same issue with no resolution yet and have not felt "ownership" of this car yet!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by sbr711
That's funny....

What are your actual current alignment numbers... did you get a real alignment where they set the car up for a specific purpose, or was it 1 of them "it's in specs" kind of things ??
When I brought it in the first time, I think the default resolution was the alignment. The car was, in fact, out of alignment, as far as spec goes. They showed me the before/after printout of the alignment: out of spec before the alignment, within spec after.

Ironically, the loaner that I was given has the same problem that my car has, but the steering wheel overcompensates to the right instead of the left. I told this to my service advisor when I picked up my car yesterday.

So, I seems to me, that there is a calibration issue with what the car thinks "center" is as far as the steering goes. But hey, what do I know, I am just a car owner.

Update: I called Hyundai Consumer Affairs and let them know of the issue. It is going to be assigned to someone and they are going to call the dealer. We will see where it goes from there. I hope it doesn't come back as "operating as designed." That would be terrible; a car that is designed NOT to drive straight.

Last edited by MisterRoy; 11-10-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Firemedic
My wife and I are in the same boat. We purchased our SE on 10/25 and it has been back at the service department on 11/1, 3, and 7 for the exact same issues. We are currently in a loaner from our dealership while they are trying to figure out the problem. A Hyundai factory representative was involved in our cars issues yesterday. He drove the car and was made aware of the problems we've experienced and concurred that there was an issue. He called Hyundai and advised some of the engineers of the corrections that the dealership has attempted...alignments, tire rotations, and tire repalcements. I am by no means an ASE certified mechanic, but I did work for a tire and auto repair franchise during my college years and know a bit about what's good info and what's BS! I have explained to the dealership that I know when a car that drives straight occasionally, pulls left and has the steering wheel **** off center 5-10 degrees occasionally, then pulls right occasionally, does not have to do with the tires or alignment. If it were tires or alignment, it would happen always and not switch from left to right. These fools, led by a female service adivsor (sorry, but true) keep trying things that I know aren't going to fix the problem! Now we are waiting on word back from the factory service rep on what the next step is...WTF, there is obviously a problem with the electronic assist power steering that no one at this dealership seems willing to admit hearing about prior to our issue. We really like this car otherwise, and our sales rep who sold us the car has been great, involving himself in the resolution of this problem, and calling and informing us of the details of the service departments progress. KY has a 4 times/12mo/12K miles Lemon Law. I will hate to have to use this, but if they don't fix this problem soon, we will. We have owned this car less than a month, have had it to the service department 3 times for the same issue with no resolution yet and have not felt "ownership" of this car yet!
I am not sure if it's the electronic power assist. From what I understand, and please correct me if I am wrong, anyone, the only thing that the electronic power assist does is replace the hydraulic assembly that most other cars have for power steering. The problem that we have is with the car drifting, not having a hard time steering.

I think it's a calibration issue or an alignment issue or a steering assembly issue more than an electronic power assist issue. We might be barking up the wrong tree with the issues we are having.

Again, just my thoughts.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 PM

They are snowing you if they act like it's a new issue. I talked to my dealers head mechanic and he confirmed that the issue is pretty much universal and hopefully will be solved.
Try this: On a flat road give it gas, even just a little and it pulls left. Then, get off the gas and it goes straight. That's what mine does and the mechanic says that's the issue he has seen.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by gojoe
They are snowing you if they act like it's a new issue. I talked to my dealers head mechanic and he confirmed that the issue is pretty much universal and hopefully will be solved.
Try this: On a flat road give it gas, even just a little and it pulls left. Then, get off the gas and it goes straight. That's what mine does and the mechanic says that's the issue he has seen.
Kind of sounds like torque steer. I haven't noticed too much of that, but I will pay attention to that next time I take the car out.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by MisterRoy
Kind of sounds like torque steer. I haven't noticed too much of that, but I will pay attention to that next time I take the car out.
We talked about torque steer, but it doesn't quite act like it. The pull to the left is slight no matter how hard you accelerate. He thought it might involve the calibration of the electronic steering assist. Hyundai engineers have been involved with no luck, so far.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by gojoe
We talked about torque steer, but it doesn't quite act like it. The pull to the left is slight no matter how hard you accelerate. He thought it might involve the calibration of the electronic steering assist. Hyundai engineers have been involved with no luck, so far.
I was looking for it this morning but didn't notice anything. I will do more driving this weekend, so we'll see.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:51 PM

I just bought a 2011 Sonata Limted Turbo. What can I say the car pulls to left. I took it back, they did an alignment swapped the front tires and it still pulls to left. It is very noticable at high speeds, 60-80.

Clearly after reading this forum, steering issues abound. I will be taking it back for round 2, I'll keep you posted.

Damn shame, because they car is great in every other way.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: the dealership worked on the car while consulting Hyudai headquarters in Irvine, CA as well as their regional rep and diagnosis was "as designed". Who designs a car that can't drive straight?! So by that logic of you car drives straight it is performing not as designed, so you should take it to a dealership immediately. Hogwash. I called Hyundai Consumer Affairs and opened a case. We will see what comes of it. My hopes aren't high as the dealer told me they just got a bunch of more 2011's and they all pull to the left to various degrees.

I'll let you know what happens in round 3.

Last edited by kingkool; 11-24-2010 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Update
Old 11-17-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by kingkool
I just bought a 2011 Sonata Limted Turbo. What can I say the car pulls to left. I took it back, they did an alignment swapped the front tires and it still pulls to left. It is very noticable at high speeds, 60-80.

Clearly after reading this forum, steering issues abound. I will be taking it back for round 2, I'll keep you posted.

Damn shame, because they car is great in every other way.
Is your steering wheel turning left or staying straight? I had a mechanic friend of mine say the steering angle sensor might be calibrated incorrectly.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Default 2011 Sonata SE Steering problem

Hello to all, i just joined the forum - i read the posted thread. I purchase my 2011 SE back on May 30 2010, thre days later i notice a slight pulling. Since i bought my car i only put 3500 miles, i lived in Bronx NY (NYC).
The steering has gotten worst, but i tought it was the roads here, most city roads are humpy/lumpy due to double-lenghts buses and heavy commercial traffic.
Well my pulls to the left slightly, but when i have 3 adults and my 2 year old son on the car and pick up speed to about 60 mph the car handles well, but at times it just pulls like someone is pushing the steering wheel. NOW IT SCARES ME - i will be calling the service department ASAP.

HAS ANYONE GOTTEN THE PROBLEM SOLVED?

Quick Reply: 2011 Sonata SE Steering Problem