Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata SE Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 07:23 AM

From reading all these and from my own ordeal, I would say no. Best thing to do is give the dealer a chance to remedy and if it persists call Hyundai Consumer Affairs (1-800-633-5151) and open a formal case.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:06 PM

I just purchased my Limited Turbo. It has the same tires as the SE, but different suspension. Mine was pulling noticeably to the left, at speeds over 60, from day one. I took it back to the dealership and they said there was new alignment specs released a few days ago. They realigned the car and rotated the tires from left to right. These two things resolved the issue for me. Good luck to everyone.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Default Pull issue

I just bought a week and a half ago the new SE Turbo. I was not aware of the pull issue and didn't notice it in the brief test drive I made with the car I bought. I had test driven a limited turbo and another SE Turbo in the week or two before buying the one I got and didn't notice this issue either.
I drive about 1000 miles a week on the highway to and from my job. I gave it a couple of days and the day before Thanksgiving (3 full days of driving) I called the dealership and they informed me that they had never heard of such a thing with a new car.
I got it to them on Black Friday and they had the car for a full day. they did indicate to me that it did need an alignment and that the TOE of the car was out of whack and that everything was 100% trued up now. The service guy who checked me out admitted that they had seen this with a few new sonatas strangely enough.
Well I have driven it for the past three days (M-W) this week to and from work and on my way home tonight called the dealership to report the problem still exists. Matter of fact I think it is worse now. I have experienced the torque steer when launching this lovely car from a dead stop.. some what expected. But at cruising speed 65-80 the car will drift/pull to the left in a matter of a couple seconds. I have also noticed the sensitivity of the wandering issue but the pull is completely different and something I don't want to deal with for the life of this car.
Like many others I love everything about this car but this issue. In a week I have put 1000 miles on it. Tomorrow it goes in for a second time. I believe I was told by the Service Manager that he was going to Cross Rotate the tires. I am also going to make sure he checks the balance of each tire and the brakes to ensure that they are releasing properly.
I do plan on printing out some of these threads of evidence to problems and if whatever he does doesn't fix the issue I will be calling the agencies noted along with hyundai.
I owned an 03 Elantra GT and put 285k miles on it before I got in a accident a couple of months ago and felt I would be a loyal Hyundai owner for a long time with this car. I would hate for this issue to change that.
Thanks to all for posting about this issue, I just wish I had seen it when I was researching about the car before I bought it. I am not saying it would have stopped my purchase of the car but I would have been looking for the issue and trying not to purchase one with it off the lot.

Thanks again and I will try and post in the next couple of days with the results of round 2.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:55 PM

My car is now back at the dealership for the 3rd time with the pulling issue as well as a gasoline smell blowing through the vents. I dropped it off this pat monday so it has now been there for 5 days. They had done the steering recall, an alignment, a tire rotation and a wheel balance and the problem still existed. Now the dealer finall called me back today and they said they are waiting for a new steering column to come in. As well as fuel injectors for the gasoline smell. We'll see how long the car is at the dealer. If it is not fixed this time I am definitely going to file for the Lemon Law. Hopefully it wont come to that

Old 12-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Angry SE Turbo drifts left

Originally Posted by fdnj48
My car is now back at the dealership for the 3rd time with the pulling issue as well as a gasoline smell blowing through the vents. I dropped it off this pat monday so it has now been there for 5 days. They had done the steering recall, an alignment, a tire rotation and a wheel balance and the problem still existed. Now the dealer finall called me back today and they said they are waiting for a new steering column to come in. As well as fuel injectors for the gasoline smell. We'll see how long the car is at the dealer. If it is not fixed this time I am definitely going to file for the Lemon Law. Hopefully it wont come to that
My dealer did the same to my SE turbo (alignment, reset controller, rotate tires) none resolved the problem although the service writer called me to come get the car and it is 100% sure if it standing still...Now I have to go back prove the car does drift lefts. The problem can vary in intensity from road to road but always to the drift is to the left. Maybe this time when I test drive the car I should just let in drift right in to on coming traffic or center median with the tech then they can blame it on the accident !

My other Sonata SE (non turbo) on the same road drives and tracks straight as an arrow. Did Hyundai rush to get the turbos out and something went wrong in the process ? I assume Turbos use the same steering/suspension/tire components as the non turbo SE (is the computer controlling this model tweaked differently) ? Do we have a bad batch of components that went in to these cars? was the person on the line "sleeping at the switch" during assembly? I Will be going the lemon law route after this next attempt if not resolved. I for one will not accept a brand new car drifting to left as oh well just the nature of the car !

Old 12-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Default 2011 Sonata 2.0T - PULLING LEFT!!

Just purchased a 2011 Sonata 2.0 turbo. After 2 days driving it noticed a heavy pull to the left, most of the time. Took it to the dealership today where they kept it all day. They re-aligned it and "calibrated" the steering angle (??)- No change, even worse! The technician said he has contacted a Hyundai engineer...and said they had that problem on two occassions on the 2.0T. I bet they give the same BS to everyone. Overall I like the car , except for this flaw.
I am studying lemon laws in South Carolina, you need to take the car at least 3 times with no improvement, but what if they don't want to receive it?? I am going to drive them crazy until they fix it or give me a different car...also filing a complaint with the NHTSA and calling Hyundai Consumer Affairs at 800-633-5151

Old 12-27-2010, 09:21 AM

I'm not sure exactly what the steering problem is you're referring to, but I have a problem with heavy steering. I find excessive pressure is required to maintain the vehicle in a long turn. I'm looking for people who have similar complaints. One other thing I find hard to explain here: If I take my eyes off the road for only 1 second I find the car veering to the shoulder or opposite land when I recover. Yet it seems to track ok at other times. I'm considering contacting Hyundai Consumer Affairs about this.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:25 PM

I purchased my 2011 in October and drove it for about 1k miles, mostly under 30mph around town and did not notice the pull to the left until I took it on a 1200 mile trip. I took it to the dealership and they said it had a bad tire and replaced one front tire. It continued to pull left. I took it back and they confirmed that it still pulled left. They did an alignment. I just took it on another 800 mile trip and had to continually hold right hand pressure to drive. At highway speeds on right hand banked turns, it seemed like I lost slight control over bumps and highway expansion joints. The car wanted to turn slight left as the front end bounced. I just took it back to the dealer where they test drove it and said that it drives straight as an arrow. This car was purchased in Florida. this was the dealers third attempt to fix the problem. I am filing a Florida Lemon Law claim now.

Note: Mine is a Limited, not an SE

Last edited by schiafone; 01-03-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:51 PM

I did notice that the car seemed to drive a little better after the dealer gave it back to me, so I checked the service order and it indicated the dealer corrected the air pressure in the tires. I checked the air presser and they had 34lbs in both right tires and 38lbs in both left tires causing the right side of the car to drag slightly. I lowered pressure in all tires to 34lbs and it pulls to the left just like it did before!!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:32 AM
mbm

Pity you had to go LL route. I will be doing the same for the steering rattle issues I'm experiencing which another member claimed was fixed by their dealer by replacing the steering column.

Or, I'll just sell the car and wait until they come out with the MKII version of this one

Quick Reply: 2011 Sonata SE Steering Problem