Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata SE Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:24 PM

No. Please remember that this vehicle was driven and serviced by a Hyundai Factory Engineer, and the issue (drifting or pulling) was replicated and confirmed by the Hyundai Factory Engineer. This is not just me identifying an issue and posting about it. This is an actual confirmed issue by the dealership service department and a Hyundai Factory Engineer. The drifting/pulling was replicated and confirmed on another 2011 Sonata straight from the dealerships unsold inventory. It is as the Hyundai Factory Engineer identified ... a configuration within the Electric Steering System. The vehicle is inherently going to have this slight to moderate drifting/pulling. No, maybe not all or every vehicle will do this. But, there is an identified issue nonetheless.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:27 PM

Also, I purchased this 2011 Sonata SE (Harbor Gray) for $21,300 out the door. Paid $19,700 something for the vehicle itself. Internet shop other dealerships. I did so for about a week and a half to get this price.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:12 PM

Where did you get this price?is this with Nav/Sunroof?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 AM
Default Sonata SE 2011 Steering Problems

Just bought a 2011 SE, steering feels weird, I am always aligning/correcting to stay on center at all speeds. Does not let me relax and "enjoy the ride" as I did with my 2004 Sonata. Researched Edmunds road tests ... here's an excerpt. Don't know if the info makes me feel better or worse. I am concerned this apparent poor execution of "electric-assist steering system" degrades the driving experience (I do cross country 1600 mile drives). Doesn't feel safe either, as the car drifts and tends to wander so easily. Thoughts? I'm considering asking for a Santa Fe instead? Maybe I'll just get used to it?

FROM EDMUNDS
As mentioned in our Hyundai Sonata Full Test, the Sonata's steering suffers from two handicaps. There's a sense of inconsistency from the electric-assisted power steering, plus a tendency for the car to wander slightly on the open highway. There are examples of electric-assist steering done right, but the technology is clearly still evolving. Both the Accord and Mazda 6 currently use a traditional hydraulic-assisted steering system and as a result, perform more intuitively.

Yet as we drive our 2011 Sonata GLS, that checklist is never far from mind. The drivetrain, steering and suspension all feel like separate elements that never quite unify into a whole.

The steering, for example, is a rack-and-pinion unit with an electric motor driving the hydraulic power steering pump. This is, of course, a fuel-saving measure, and it's fast becoming the norm in the commuter car segment. But it feels as if Hyundai engineers didn't have enough time to get the calibration just so. The Sonata's steering is too light to give you much precision in the parking lot, yet the effort level doesn't come together as it should on the highway. We're continually chipping away at it on-center to keep the car situated in its lane, and there isn't much information to go on off-center. "The steering is so isolated from what's actually happening, the slalom becomes a visual exercise rather than one of feel," says our resident track-test driver.

Oddly, there's a narrow zone around 40-50 mph when the steering does weight up appropriately. If you happen to be on a back road at the time, you notice that the suspension also does a reasonable job of controlling body roll. And even with meek P205/65R16 94H Kumho Solus KH25 all-season tires wrapped around our base Sonata's steelies, the car turns in pretty well, too.

Full article: http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/so...ison-test.html

Old 05-13-2010, 10:56 AM

I spent a day driving the new Sonata in all three trims, and do not recall this problem. So it appears to affect a fair number of cars, but not all of them.

I'll keep an eye out for this problem in the reliability survey I conduct--14 2011 Sonata owners signed up so far.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:12 PM

Maryland.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:15 PM

I am so glad to that a national known media outlet (Edmunds) has picked up and noticed this inherent design flaw within the steering system. I hope someone from Hyundai corp reads that article.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Default Sonata Steering wanders

The Sonata steering problem I experienced was confirmed by my dealer. They were great... swapped my 2 Sonatas (GLS & SE) out for a Santa Fe (even though they'll have to sell my Sonata as "used" now). They said on new models they get service updates to tweak the programs and will note this steering issue and that an alignment might help. I doubt that as braking did not exaggerate, or "pull" the steering wandering.

For those test driving to find the condition: travel on freeway @ 70 mph and put into cruise control, point straight in lane and lightly let go of steering wheel. My 2 Sonatas (GLS and SE both automatic), consistently wandered immediately to either left or right - but never stayed center. The feeling was actually like a boatfloating or a heavy corss wind that kept the car wavering. I repeated my test on multiple freeway lanes and in different areas to rule out road/pavement issues.

Gosh if the Edmund's test drivers felt it, how could a prev poster say he didn't? hmmm are we driving the same cars? hehe!

I was sorry to lose the fabulous styling of the Sonata. It is one hot car and everything but the steering was good. I would suggest though that the SE's "sport tuned suspension" combined with the 18" low profile tires translates into a terribly bumpy ride that most baby-boomers+ will consider simply an intolerably rough ride. I'd suggest the Limited for a more refined ride.

Happy driving!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:57 PM

I test drove a Sonata SE today and it felt alright most of the time while driving inline at around 40mph, although it didn't quite feel true (balanced drive) like a new car does. Biggest issues I seen was when I applied the brakes I felt a strong pull to the left. The recovery after hitting a bump in the road didn't have the new car response I expected either.

I commented on this when I returned to the dealer, I'm glad he was a young inexperienced salesman because his non-verbal mannerisms told the story. I plan on returning and test out an GLS or limited, but the steering is something I was worried about most from looking at various reviews from the magazines I've seen. Just started looking at the forums today.

My caution comes from a rule of mine, "always beware" of first year product line changes. Lots of bugs to work out and the customer is normally the tester in these scenarios.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Unhappy Sonata 2011

I bought my 2011 Sonata SE last Friday. I did not notice the pull while test driving at the dealership. Over the weekend the pull became very obvious. I drove it on all kinds of roads. Very obvious and I would say very dangerous. I bought the car as a sporty family car. I have a 4 months old baby girl that I was hoping to take a for some trips, but I am scared to do so now. There should not be any pull.

I took the car to dealership to get it fixed. They acknowledged the pull to the left. They tried to do alignment. No positive results. The pull is still there. I am taking it back again today. I hope they can fix it because the car is beautiful. However, i cannot afford to drive an unreliable car.

If nothing else I might have to consider lemon laws.

If anyone wants to discuss this issue or put more brains together how to get a resolution please contact me. tonik_fenik @ yahoo . com

Quick Reply: 2011 Sonata SE Steering Problem