Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata SE Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 AM

The problem is within the calibration and design of the electric based steering system. It is brand new to the vehicle this model year. Most likely there will end up being nothing that they will do to "fix" it. I cjeck with my dealership last week and there are NO service bulletins out on it either. A service bulletin is not a vehcile recall, but a known fix or adjustment to a problem. Hyundai has seemed to accept the fact that there is a drift/pull and that it is a "natural" cause of the vehicle. Well, that is what the Hyundai Engineer said to my dealership when they looked at it. Yup, a Hyundai Factory Engineer! I personally have filed a complaint with the NHTSA. It is viewable within their database now. Anyone else with similar drift/pull as mentioned, it is suggeted to file a complaint with the NHTSA. Enough complaints will warrant a investigation ... i.e. Toyota. My dealership says although there is an identified drift/pull with the vehicle there is NOTHING they can do because Hyundai has certified it as a "natural" occurance of the vehicle AND it wasn't determined to be UNSAFE!

Old 06-02-2010, 01:07 PM

Just found this forum today. I have my 11 SE for 2.5 weeks, 1300+ miles. thankfully no issues with steeering. anyone have any probs w/blue tooth. people cannot hear me when driving, ok when sitting still.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:27 AM

I purchased a 2011 Sonata SE and noticed the pull to the left after purchasing the vehicle.

I have not yet taken the car to the dealership to see if they can fix the problem. I am also quite worried about the problem.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:40 PM

I buying a new Sonata SE $23,750 with Nav/Sunroof,I hope I don't run into problems like what I've been reading.I'm going with a color I didn't think I'd buy.It's the Harbor grey metellic.I've benn seeing them on roads near me and it looks great.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 PM

(FYI) The vehcile noticably drift/pull to the left at speeds greater than 40mph. I recent had my vehicle in for an oil changed and inquired yet once again. The service manager adviseded me that he was recently at a regional Hyundai training session with other service managers and openned this topic up --- Is anyone else experiencing customers complaints regarding the steering drift/pull on the new 2011 Hyundai Sonata? As a matter of fact, there were serveral replies as to YES! Several of these also had a Hyundai Engineer visit and look at their vehicles and concluded the same as mine --- natural cause of the steering system. If ANYONE experiences this too, PLEASE identify it with your dealerships service department. This isn't going to be swept under the rug, which is what it seems they (Hyundai) are attempting to do. Oh, noted also was that this issue seems to be mostly associated with the 2011 SE model; thus, possibly something within the "sport" set-up of the steering system. Also, mine still drifts/pulls and I have over 5k on it! Seems that I was the first to identify the issue and subsequently others have too.

Last edited by Sonata2011; 06-23-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Default Wish I had read these before I bought

Picked up my new 2011 SE Sonata from the dealer an hour away from my house on Fri. My spouse drove it home and I was almost car sick from the constant steering correction. He said we just needed to get used to it. I drove the next day to drop off papers to the dealer and had the same problem. Talked to the salesman-he said I would "get used to the new electronic steering." From there I drove 2 hours across the state-back the next day-don't think I'll ever "get used to it." It's just plain squirrelly. This was supposed to be my last car. Does anybody have any ideas?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:32 PM

I decided to look in a different direction and not purchase one because of this issue. The first time I drove an SE the pull/drift was very noticeable, especially while braking. I decided to drive a gls and then a limited, didn't notice the pull but could feel the road too much, didn't feel like a new car to me.
I'm presently researching, yet again, other cars, will probably stay with the brand I've been with for many years now. But you will find something wrong with each one, just depends on what is acceptable and where you drive it the most. With my son going to college 3 hours north and my daughter wanting to go 3 hours south, I need something that stays on the highway without effort.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:14 AM

Same problem with the Elantra Touring. Pulls to the right, they tried to fix it. Test drove 2 other cars on the lot same problem

Old 07-03-2010, 09:18 AM

OK, now I'm really starting to wonder about tires & road surfaces....

All who have posted, call out with tire brand & size, aluminum or steel wheels & if you remember was it concrete or asphalt??

Old 07-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Default First contact w/ service dept-20011 SESteering problem.

Took my 2011SE into the dealer with the steering conplaint-wanders all over the road at speeds over 40-service dept said it had 50#'s of air pressure in the tires -suposed to have 34 so that was adjusted and they checked out the alignment which they said was good. My other half drove home-1 hr at 75-80 mph - said it seemed to be better. I haven't driven on the highway yet so will report later this week.

Quick Reply: 2011 Sonata SE Steering Problem