Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2015 Hyundai Sonata thinks key is inside, but it isn't!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 02:38 PM
Default 2015 Hyundai Sonata thinks key is inside, but it isn't!

Hi all! How are ya?

We unfortunately had a break-in incident with our Sonata.. but, they didn't end up getting the car!

We replaced the window. The guy or gal stuck a screwdriver in the car to try to take it. Actually, a locksmith/mechanic came and removed a piece of screwdriver... and I had a new ignition switch there, but we were able to use the old one. Both the new and old one had the same issue, however: The Sonata thinks a key is in the car even when it's not.

This, I think, affects the remotes not working, it affects the locking (it wants to keep unlocked all the time), and I think it may affect the headlights not automatically turning off when the car is turned off like they used to after a while. (I would leave them on, lock up with the remote, and they would indeed turn off after a minute or so).

I checked the fuses, tried a hard reset on the battery. Not sure what to do, to be honest, or what it could be. The guy did have to hammer the old ignition switch out or something like that, but he got it out and it does work - and even a new ignition switch was doing the same thing.

This guy has a solution for an older car, but not sure how to test it:

Can't quite find the "key reminder switch" to see if it's stuck or broken.

Any ideas? Thanks a bunch!