Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Brakes Don't Want to Stop!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Unhappy Brakes Don't Want to Stop!

Last month, I pulled out of the driveway and my brakes did not work. The car would not stop so I put on the emergency brake. After waiting a few minutes for the car to warm up they finally worked. Took it to my mechanic and he said my front brake pads were shot. Put on on new pads and filed the rotar. All was well. Until today. I left for work this morning. Approached 5 stop signs along the way and everything was fine....Until I get up to a 4-way stop sign and the car would not stop. I rolled right through it. Luckily, no one else was there! I put the car in neutral and throw up the emergency brake. Scared to go any farther, I called my mechanic. He does not believe it is a master cylinder problem because the pedal does not go to the floor. The pedal almost freezes and gets hard. He thinks it could be a vacumn problem in the line? This is a 2003 Sonata GLS. Any advice?

Old 04-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Banned

This is not rocket science. If the pads and rotors are good, then the next step is the master cylinder, which would necessitate bleeding all the brake lines. Do you have ABS?

Old 04-10-2009, 05:31 PM

Yes, the brakes are ABS. This is my concern: Last month when the new pads were put on, we all assumed the problem was solved. Now, if they install a new master cylinder, how do I know that is really the problem? Geez, I'd hate to by going 55mph and have something dart out in front of the car and the brakes don't work! Or worse yet, the 18-wheeler in front of me stop suddenly! The mechanic seems to think over the phone that it is a vacumm problem? I'm ready to buy a Toyota!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Banned

I don't like dealing with ABS, there's too many things that can go wrong. You have to take it someplace good and spend some money, you don't want to pawn this problem off on somebody else.

Other cars also problems with ABS, it's not just a Hyundai problem.

On the other hand, if the brake booster has a leak, it would probably do this. Could be a simple fix, like a loose hose.

Drive slow, don't follow too close.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Default brakes?

i took my sonata an 06 to the dealear because it was making a grinding noise they said it was the rear breaks and rotors 30000 miles on the car.they said they could not turn the rotors $400.oo that did not solve the problem made another appt.this time they said front pads and rotors another $4oo.oo.seems ok now but the price seems awuful high.wish i was younger and physicaly able.i thinl i got ripped off.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Banned

Yeah, $800 for all rotors and pads is really high. Better off going aftermarket. Should have cost half that much.

Here's a complete set of parts for around $150 for 2.4 L:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...Q5fAccessories

Old 04-12-2009, 11:23 AM

You get what you pay for. Hyundai brake pads and rotors are of very good qulaity. If you put anything aftermarket on these cars (especially junk from ebay) you will ultimatley pay the price. They will make more noise than a pig in mud and probably wont last long at all. Not to mention aftermarket brakes are prone to severe amounts of brake dust.

I have never seen good things from a Hyundai with aftermarket brake parts. I do NOT recommend anything but manufacturer parts. You will always pay more for manufacturer parts over aftermarket no matter what, but thats because they are much better quality.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dawghouse87
You get what you pay for. Hyundai brake pads and rotors are of very good qulaity. If you put anything aftermarket on these cars (especially junk from ebay) you will ultimatley pay the price. They will make more noise than a pig in mud and probably wont last long at all. Not to mention aftermarket brakes are prone to severe amounts of brake dust.

I have never seen good things from a Hyundai with aftermarket brake parts. I do NOT recommend anything but manufacturer parts. You will always pay more for manufacturer parts over aftermarket no matter what, but thats because they are much better quality.
Duh. Did you read the rest of the thread? Hyundai has the worst "qulaity" brakes, they start out junk.

You can buy much better aftermarket stuff than the OEM.