Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Burnt Burnt odor when heater is started

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 10:24 AM
Default Burnt Burnt odor when heater is started

Greetings,

The car is an 2014 Sonata 2.4L. The vehicle has been trouble free aside from the normal wear and tear issues. This evening we used the heater for the first time this year and after a few minutes an odor developed which smelled like smoke or burning. We had just parked at our destination and I got out to see if the odor was on the exterior as well. I didn't smell anything on the outside. We went in and ate and returned about 40 minutes later

We only live a few miles from the restaurant, so I decided to not use the heater or ac at all. No fan running. Few minutes passed of driving, no odor. Decided to use the fan on low, with a/c engaged. Few more miles pass, no odor. When we parked at home, I got out and the wife stayed in the car with engine running. I walked around the vehicle, past the exhaust pipe and around to the passenger side to the front, no odor. I indicated to my wife to engage the heater, she did and very quickly she indicated the odor was back and I did smell it on the passenger exterior side of the vehicle.

It was dark out and getting cold so I decided to look on several forums first for some clues. I found a few entries indicating odor with the heater running, but there was no follow-up as to a resolved disposition. During the day I'll dig a little deeper, but thought I'd start this thread and see if there are any suggestions.

Thanks
Located in South Alabama

Old 11-23-2023, 02:23 PM

Before we could suggest anything tha2t might be helpful we need some addl info.

Does your vehicle stay parked outside all the time or maybe some of the time where rodents can find a way in and begin making their winter home?

When you say burnt smell, different materials will put out a different odor and can you be a little more specific because if it is anti-freeze that is one type that could be involved if it is like burning leaves, that could be caused by a different cause. .

Is your vehicle parked under trees where leaf particles can get into the ventilation system from just below the windshield.

If neither applies would you describe it as an electrical type burning odor, which will be caused by something completely different from the other types..

There could be something we didn't think of , but most likely have come across . What do you think, thanks.

Old 11-23-2023, 08:00 PM

I'm going to call this one resolved. What i suspect the odd odor to be was the combination of lack of use plus what I believe to be settling of the oil based air fresheners my wife has taken a liking to for the past several years. She places them right in front of the vents.

I ran the car several times today and it seams fine now. After about 30 minutes of running the heater on full the odor dissipated quite a bit.

Old 11-24-2023, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the update. It certainly was not something we would have thought about.