Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Is this common W\07's or is my car messed up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Default Is this common W\07's or is my car messed up?

I have an issue with my car, it pulls right.
I went to Firestone to get my car aligned 7 times in the last 2 months. but they were unable to solve the problem. So ended up taking it to a Hyundai Dealership to get inspected. The car was in a front end collision but there was no damage to the frame (i didnt know this and it didnt show up on carfax).

They allgined the car and told me that the pull that i fell is "Torque pull" Which means every-time i accelerate my car pulls right.

Can this be fixed? Is this common?

I would really appreciate your help guys!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

That's normal. All FWD cars do that because of the way a FWD car is designed. It's called Torque Steer and it's caused by the unequal lengths of the drive axles. A FWD car has the engine sideways in the engine bay with the transmission to the one far side (usually the driver side). This causes the axles to be different lengths because it has to reach father to get to the passenger side wheel. It's these unequal lengths that cause the problem. There is no real way to fix it because it's part of the cars engineering. Some companies build their FWD cars in such a way that the axles are closer in length to help reduce the problem but that doesn't totally eliminate it. And the more powerful the engine, the worse the problem is. Do a Google search on "Torque Steer" to learn more.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 AM

Post your final adjustment numbers... lets see what they is calling "aligned"..

left toe // right toe

total toe

left camber // right camber

left caster // right caster

IA / SAI angles if measured

--------------------------------------

REAR :

left toe // right toe

left camber // right camber

total toe

thrust

The numbers tell the story..

We had a few 8's I think it was that had borderline camber spread, installed new spindles in hope to reduce cross camber spreds, which we got lucky and did, reduced the pull/drift.

Need to clarify your actual "pulls right though,,

is steering wheel straight when going straight ?

Is steering wheel canted to left slightly when drive straight, and you turn wheel to right make it straight the cars goes right ?

When driving straight down the road, you let go of steering wheel and car hooks off to right, making a quick lane change on its own, or is it a slow long drift/wander to right..

Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 AM

Hey sbr711

I am out of town and away from the documents but as soon as i get back i will post the numbers and PM to let you know.

Thanks NovaResource!