Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Cold Air intake messed up

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Default Cold Air intake messed up

My friend has a 2000 4-cylinder tiburon coupe. He already has had a custom cold air intake on the car which was place around 6 inches away from the engine block and also sat on top of the compartment very close to his carbon fiber hood. He says this intake sucks and takes in hot air, so he buys a new AEM cold air intake that sits very low, right on top of the splash guard. After we put it all in and were all set he starts the car. The car had no power, the intake manifold was very loud and sounded to be sucking in air from a hole but no hole was clearly visible. Smoke was rising from the engine block. A smell of burning grease (i think) was coming out also. Is the carburetor messed up, is there too much air or not enough? Please help

Old 07-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Cold Air intake messed up

Where do I start.

First, there is no carburetor. Your friends Tiburon has fuel injection.

Second, the old intake is not a CAI (Cold Air Intake) it is an SRI (Short Ram Intake). SRI's place the filter in the engine compartment. CAI's place the filter outside the engine compartment, usually by the front wheel.

Make sure all the connections are complete and tight. Not just the intake tubing but any wire connections you may have disconnected. If all else fails, re-install the old intake. If the problem goes away, the new intake was the problem. If the problem is still there, there is nothing wrong with the new intake; the problem is with something you messed up while installing the intake.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 AM

i think its an intake manifold leak. i hear a loud hissing sound coming from it, do you know how to fix it?

Old 07-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

You have to find the leak. Go over each connection of the intake tubing to make sure they are all sealed.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 AM

okay well, nevermind. thanks for your help anyways. my friend brought it to a shop. he has no sense of adventure. thanks for your help. if i ever to buy a korean car, ill be sure to come to this website.