Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Creaking from Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Default Creaking from Suspension

Ok so my wife started getting this creaking noise that comes from the front passenger side of the car. Its a 2002 Sonata with about 130,000 miles on it. To me it sounded like the type of sound a shock makes when its going bad so I replaced both struts on the front. Drive it again and it was still there. Did some searching online and found some saying that the sway bar end links or bushings can cause it...well I replaced both of those and I'm STILL hearing the noise. It is noticeable when the car bounces like going slow over speed bumps or big dips in the road...not so much small bumps on the road, just anything that would cause the car to bounce. I also replaced the CV shaft entirely and still have the noise...anyone know what else would cause this?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by los7883
Its a 2002 Sonata with about 130,000 miles on it. To me it sounded like the type of sound a shock makes when its going bad so I replaced both struts on the front. Drive it again and it was still there. Did some searching online and found some saying that the sway bar end links or bushings can cause it...well I replaced both of those and I'm STILL hearing the noise. It is noticeable when the car bounces like going slow over speed bumps or big dips in the road...not so much small bumps on the road, just anything that would cause the car to bounce. I also replaced the CV shaft entirely and still have the noise...anyone know what else would cause this?
I would stop replacing parts and have a mechanic put the car on a lift and inspect the structure (K member) underneath that supports the engine, transmission and lower suspension. Early generation EF models of the Sonata are known to get excessive corrosion in this area under the right conditions (high moisture and salt). If such is the case (and it may not be depending on the inspection), the cost of repair is usually more than the car is worth.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:51 AM
Banned

If you can jack up the car and it "looks" ok, i.e not big rusted problems like ken99 says, then it's probably either the springs are rubbing against springs seats, or a funky bushing or ball joint. One way to find it is to securely jack up the car, have an assistant push up and down on the front end to simulate the noise, and start spraying WD 40 on the parts that move until you pinpoint the part making the noise. Another way is to get a rubber tube and stick it in your ear to use like a stethoscope and pinpoint the noise that way.

A lot of times, it's a bushing just creaking, but still in good shape. When it's happened to me in the past, I just get out the handy WD 40 can and spray it periodically to eliminate the noise.