Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Does anyone have a Sonata Hybrid yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Default Sonata Hybrid

I have a Premium package Hybrid, the Check engine light came on 9 days ago, took it to the dealer and am waiting for a part. I am only getting 19.86 MPG combined. Any ideas?

Old 07-13-2011, 01:41 PM

I saw somewhere else on line (maybe this forum) that if your only seeing half the mpg, Hyundai is aware of a part causing this issue that should be replaced at the dealer.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 AM

Just had a part replaced yesterday, the check engine light came on 2 1/2 weeks ago and it took that long to get the part, then they said that it became a recall on Monday. The invoice quote: "Customer states check engine light on, fixed with recall" "Campaign, perform campaign, TF9 NVLD, replaced NVLD as per campaign" Warranty. What is a TF9 NVLD?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

TF9 = Service Campaign Number
NVLD = Natural Vacuum Leakage Detection - Pressure Sensor Assembly

The TSB for this is #11-01-022 (click the number to see it)

Last edited by NovaResource; 07-14-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:58 AM

Thanks, printed it out, great information.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:45 PM

I finally received my silver sonata hybrid Friday after almost 8 weeks. I wished the rear camera included backup audible sensors too, otherwise car is very nice and worth the wait. I've put 220 miles on it so far but have not been able to average over 31MPG. Priori to the short 60mile highway trip I did it was closer to 21pmg. Not sure why, but the display fuel economy chart continually shows the bar graphs clsoer to 40MPG, but the average is much lower on the drivers cluster panel display. Did anyone else exhibit this scenario? Dealer said thye car needs to break in and wait until 3K miles on it... sounds like BS to me.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Default To soon to tell

Originally Posted by fishmouth
Dealer said thye car needs to break in and wait until 3K miles on it... sounds like BS to me.
While my 1st tank of gas, which was from the dealer, was about 30MPG, my 2nd tank was about 35MPG which is close to what I was getting on my Prius that I traded in for Hyundai's Hybrid. I have to leave and return up a very large hill as well as many during my drives. So either your car needs the updates that Hyundai does on the 1st service or your not driving the same as those of us getting good MPG for this size car. As to "Breaking-in" that was always been my experience for the 1st few tank fulls, however, I think the 3K mark is because they did not want to tell you IF your car was one of those needing the "FIX" or not. Two reasons I know of is Most issues come up in the 1st 3K of driving and they only have to "free" service the car once vs each time you find an issue and/or issue you would not see but they would each time they put the car on the tester. Hope that helps you, as I am VERY impressed with my Hybrid, all the extra items over my old Prius and at about the same price.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 AM

Bought a Sonata Hybrid on April 29th.
The first fill up the Sonata’s trip computer indicated 42.6 MPG; calculating shows 42.79 MPG. 570 miles w/ about an 1/8th tank remaining.
Drove the hybrid 2100 miles in first 30 days.

One of the best mpg segments was the 47.5mpg for 250 miles coming back from NOVA (Northern Virginia) after vehicle purchase. The next two tanks yielded 39 and 40 mpg with the 39 the car reported being 36.95 via manual calculating while the 40 mpg reading on display ended up being just over 42 in calculation.

Had an oil and filter change at 2,600 and filled up; 40.3 mpg on trip computer. Recently filled up and made the 75 mile drive home from Blacksburg, VA - go Hokies! When we got to the house the Sonata’s display showed 50.5 mpg, a “personal best“. Three adults and constant AC on that leg and a 37.8mpg for the tank full several days later.

Hybrid has 6,500 miles now, we’ve had the two software upgrades for the check engine light staying lit - a fairly common issue during the rollout. Hyundai Sonata hybrid has been the #2 selling hybrid in the US for the past two months behind the venerable Prius. Current mpg is just over 38.

Last edited by Dr. Awkward; 08-15-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Default Premium Hybrid

I got my Hybrid on June 6th and have had nothing but problems with it. It only gets 25 MPG (up from 19). The gas engine chugs (like pulling a trailer) the dealer had a factory rep drive over from Louisiana to tell me that is standard and they "are working on it" I have had 2 upgrades on the software, a new gas cap but have all the same problems. The car has 1600 miles on it. The car is great, but the hybrid drivetrain was a bad choice, I wish I had gotten the Genesis that I originally set out to buy. Even a 2.0T would get better mileage. This is my 7th hyundai/Kia and by far the worst driving one. I will drive it for a couple of years and then get rid of it.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 AM

Hyundai claims that the Sonata Hybrid can cruise on all-electric at speeds of up to 62 mph, I have seen electric-only driving at over 65 mph under light acceleration on the flats and downhill.

On the way to the OBX at interstate speeds using cruise you could watch the battery load up past ¾ charge, the EV light would illuminate while the blue arc mpg would peg, followed by the battery charge display retreating. Doesn’t take long.

Battery begins recharging, another cycle begins. All the while the mpg indicator held at nearly 42. Switch to the power flow display going 75 mph like we did and watch the ICE and traction motor interact with the battery.
Really shows the sophistication of these first Hyundai hybrids.
It can be distracting.

And as I found out a few days ago, this happened without the ECM software upgrade which was not done in June as I had been thinking. A new NVLD was installed then but the TSB had not hit yet. They did two software upgrades, popped in another NVLD, inspected the headliner - it passed - in 1:45 minutes.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a Sonata Hybrid yet?