Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Does anyone have a Sonata Hybrid yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Default Fuccillos have one

Fuccillos on Grand Island NY 14072 have a blue one which looks real nice. I had a great test drive in it, but bought 2012 Sonata SE gasoline.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:47 PM

I was only getting 32-34 in suburbds of Chicago. Took in for TSBs (2 software updates), battery cable and coolant resistor. Upgrades went fine and I'm observing ~ 35.5 mpg since the upgrades on ~200Miles so far. I have 4K miles on my premium. I'm a little disappointed ont he heated seats as they do not get too warm. My old BMW740iL and wifes Ford Edge heated seats are much better.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Default Hybrid mpg

Wow, I can't believe people here are getting such high mpg on the sonata hybrid. I bought mine in July of 2011 and am getting between 16 and 21mpg. I have had all the recalls done and nothing. I have called them and they say to take it in and the service departments do nothing. So basically I paid thousands more to get a car that gets bad gas mileage and is very weak compared to a gas car. I wish I had bought the Prius.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:15 PM

My Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has been in shop three times for recalls, software upgreades to address poor mph. I'm in Chicago and during cold weather I can barely achieve 28 mpg based on computer. If I calculate via calculator it was 24.6. At best case that is 20% below the 35 mpg on sticker for city driving. I'm in the suburbs and drive 18 miles to work each day in less than 30 minutes. I'm very disappointed in mpg and have clearly overload. During warm weather I couldn't get 35 mpg. Hyundai clearly has a problem. May need to start class action like the owner of Civic just won $9700 in civil case against

Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by fishmouth
My Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has been in shop three times for recalls, software upgreades to address poor mph. I'm in Chicago and during cold weather I can barely achieve 28 mpg based on computer. If I calculate via calculator it was 24.6. At best case that is 20% below the 35 mpg on sticker for city driving. I'm in the suburbs and drive 18 miles to work each day in less than 30 minutes. I'm very disappointed in mpg and have clearly overload. During warm weather I couldn't get 35 mpg. Hyundai clearly has a problem. May need to start class action like the owner of Civic just won $9700 in civil case against
They don't do very well until warmed up in cold weather. IF your only going SHORT distances your MPG will suffer bad due to the motor running to warm the car up. My first 9 minutes in the car are the worst in MPG. After the car is warmed I get about 30 MPG after its warmed up (on a good day)... depending on the conditions. All Hybrids get worse MPG in colder climates due to this.

But regardless the cars are NOT getting the advertised 40MPG no matter how you cut it. IF I drive it like a grandma and feather the throttle... I can barely average 30MPG on perfectly flat roads on a good day. For the extra money I spent for the hybrid, its not worth the 1 MPG it may get better than the non Hybrid. I would just be happy if they gave let me trade it in for what I owe for a Elantra or a non hybrid Sonata.

If enough peaple are jumping in for a law suit.. I'm in. They can have their car back.

All my recalls were done as well.

Last edited by Blainne; 02-07-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Default Have you got a Lemon?

61.6 mpg avg after 66 mile downhill drive
I Took my 2011 Sonata Hybrid on a 66 mile drive from S. San Diego to Julian to get some great pie and ice cream today. I finally got a chance to see what this baby could do on a long drive as I drove home. I reset the avg mpg at 4,000 feet and after 22 miles and getting down to 2,000 feet I was still at 99.9 mpg.

Went another 21 miles to about 1,000 feet and it showed 77.8 mpg going 40-55 mph

Another 23 miles at 60-65 mph 61.6 mpg at home 200 feet and 66 miles after reset avg mpg

Name:  79267002.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  46.8 KB

Battery charged to 7/8 on downhill aided by long light braking and got 0-50 to go to 50 very easy by backing off the pedal a touch and holding it steady at 65 mph. I had the 7,500 mile service done for $103 a few weeks ago and tested the avg mpg on a 10 mile flat freeway stretch. The car takes about 10 minutes to warm up the ICE then get up to 60 mph set CC on, reset avg mpg and let the car do it's thing for 10 miles 53.7 mpg. We get 25-28 mpg in town as these cars are designed to excel at 50-65 MPH. If you want better City mpg you should go with Fusion or Camray for this class of car.

You should get your car declared a lemon and get your money back If you can't get over 35 mpg by getting your car warmed up first for 10 minutes and get on a freeway with cc on at 60 mph then reset avg mpg and drive for 10 miles.

9,000 miles on car
Tires at 33#
Hyundai oil

Old 02-08-2012, 10:04 AM

Everybody's mileage suffers in cold weather, not just hybrids. I have a 2.0t and it has been pretty bad in the cold weather. I know it sounds extreme on a new car, but one thing I did when I had my diesels was put a ZeroStart coolant heater on it, which vastly improved cold weather economy. It's a 1000 watt heater that heats up the coolant in the overflow tank, so when you start the car up in the morning it circulates heated coolant up. It still cools off since most of the coolant is at ambient temp, but there's enough residual heat to get it warmed up far faster than it would otherwise.
Given that gas prices are expected to approach $5 per gallon this summer in Chicago, I'm still considering a hybrid.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:33 PM

Best mileage on the interstate? LoL.. not in my car. Maybe if I putted along at 55 MPH and drafted a Semi truck, but then I'd get run over by the other cars going the speed limit. I get the best mileage around town under 40 MPH by forcing it to use the electric motor more. I can get about 33-35 MPG around town.

I just drove from Knoxville, TN to Fort Knox, KY and back. Average MPG was 31 MPG. Return trip was about the same. I'm sure if I calculated the mileage myself the mileage would be worse than the trip computer shows.

Problem lies with the electric motor.. its WAY underpowered to move a car this weight on its own for long. 40 HP? Where they get it from... my wife's hairdryer? This motor combo would do wonders in the Elantra or the Genesis Coupe.

30 MPG isn't bad, but not even close to 40 MPG. I love the car, and the mileage isn't bad, but for the MPG I'm getting I would of been better off getting a non hybrid. What really bothers me is: I can squeeze 30 MPG out of my 2006 C6 Z06 Corvette on the interstate... and it has 505 HP.

Last edited by Blainne; 02-08-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:12 PM

Instead of coasting downhill, next time do the whole round trip w/o resetting the gauge and report the total for the day. Mileage is all over the place with the cars, according to fueleconomy.gov and fuelly. Fuelly is a little harder to decipher since their descriptions are kind of ambiguous. The ones I've seen that are identified as hybrids are good for the most part.
My one and only highway trip so far got me 30.8 on the way down although my bro and I went for a drive to show him what it could do, and I got 36 on the way back, and this is with a 2.0T not a hybrid. May be the hybrid is not the car for me, until they can get better mileage out of it.