Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Does anyone have a Sonata Hybrid yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:26 PM

I JUST RECEIVED MY HYBRID AUGUST 1st...ENGINE LIGHT JUST WENT ON TONIGHT @ 800 MILES...WILL BE HEADING FOR THE SERVICE DEPT IN THE AM...SO FAR I AM GETTING 27MPG??? I KEEP READING ABOUT "FIX" AND COMPUTER UPGRADES???? NOT TRULY HAPPY SO FAR WITH WHAT I CONSIDER "NOT WORTH" THE EXTRA MONEY

Old 08-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Lightbulb Hybrid

If you have the premium package you will not get real good mileage because of the extra weight, you will have a total of 3 software upgrades as of next week in your future, your check engine light is probably your NVLD sensor. hyundai of america is aware of all this and working on it.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Default When was yours built

Originally Posted by DR Wood
If you have the premium package you will not get real good mileage because of the extra weight, you will have a total of 3 software upgrades as of next week in your future, your check engine light is probably your NVLD sensor. hyundai of america is aware of all this and working on it.
My experience is different than yours. I am getting close to what I got on my Prius, 2nd tank, 34+ MPG. Mine was built April 28, so I am not sure why you think you will not get "real good" for the size and equipment this is far better than most. Would help if you gave facts not generalizations of opinions. Yes I knew about the updates before I purchased. I have been reading researching for the past eight months when I first starting thinking about a new Hybrid. I had 85K on my 2007 Prius, live in a very hilly location and have a lead foot. While there are so many plus on the Hyundai the only one on the Prius is it "rolls" better down hills. I did the math and it would take about 20 yrs before the price of equal Prius to Hyundai would make the Prius a better cost effective one PLUS not the comfort, larger seats, which are heated in back, and the list goes on and on.

I do admit of having worries about Hyundai, just like I did in the 70's about Honda, after reading how Hyundai has been making and improving this kind of Hybrid for years now, overseas, with a track record => Toyota on this matter.

I do hope you get your issues fixed as it is an excellent deal IMHO....

Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Default Mileage

Originally Posted by DR Wood
I have the premium package, I am getting 33-34 MPG having only filled it 3 times, each tank has been about the same. I do not live in a flat area, this is my first hybrid, so I am trying to get used to not having a lead foot. I got the car the early July, it has about 1500 miles on it so far.
I have not had it in for service to see if it needs any of the upgrades?

Old 09-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Default 2011 Hyundai Hybrid

Well after having the Sensor changed due to the Engine Light coming on @ 800 miles...the car is now ready to be tested...I now have 1050 miles and after it being looked over
@ the dealership...I was told it is working okay..I disagree but told the service manager I will take the car on a long highway trip from Delray Beach Florida to Port St Lucie Florida about 75 miles each way (all highway) and do the real test...Tap of the gas tank before I leave and then tap off the gas tank as soon as I get off the highway @ home...not even going to believe the car economy gauges...Just use the good old fashioned method "DIVIDE THE AMOUNT OF GAS IT CONSUMMED INTO THE TOTAL MILES DRIVEN...Will keep you updated next week... so far to me this type of car "makes no sense "....

Old 09-02-2011, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by delraystu
...Tap of the gas tank before I leave and then tap off the gas tank as soon as I get off the highway @ home...
The correct term is "top off" the tank, not "tap off". You are adding gas to fill the tank to the top.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Default simple suggestion to improve MPG

If you get into your car, and it's hotter inside than out, open the sunroof for a few moments; then close it.

Your A/C won't have to work as hard to initially cool the vehicle; giving you better mileage.

-Geek Girl in South Florida

Old 10-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Default still waiting

waiting for premium package hybrid.... no luck in TX.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:17 PM

I've owned a fully loaded Sonata Hybrid for about 4 months now. I've averaged about 36-39 MPG. Its seems to be a hit or miss for the bad hybrids. I'm scheduled to go in for all the TSB's this week.. hoping for even better MPG.

Also, your not going to get ANYWHERE near 32 MPG+ if you don't drive it correctly. Lead footed drivers.. you will be lucky to get 28 MPG. Driving a HYBRID for max fuel economy will take time to learn. Try driving with the Engine and Electric motor screen displayed and practice driving by keeping the car running on ONLY electric motor as much as possible. Once you master this you will know how to driver your hybrid for max MPG. Takes a light foot and a bit of skill.

Goes like this:

1. Slowly accelerate to wanted speed. (Slowly means ur Blue meter stays out of the RED!!)
2. Lightly apply pressure to maintain speed. (Gas motor SHOULD NOT engage unless your going up hill or battery needs recharging)
3. Anticipate braking... let off gas and cruise to stops using only light brake pressure. (Braking is free battery power if you SLOWLY brake EARLY!!!)

1 and 3 may be VERY HARD for some people. (Like my wife) Doing #3 will also save you on brakes in the future.

I've gotten this technique down that I can sometimes drive up to 1 mile in my town with only electric motor. Also the car can go only electric motor up to 75 MPH on the interstate, but it drains the battery extremely fast. It was stated earlier that up to 65 MPH, but that is not the case.

I can manage 40-45 MPG if I drive like a grandma. On the otherside of the spectrum... my 'LEAD FOOTED' wife will hop in my Hybrid and get 26 MPG... she seems to think the gas pedal is an "Off" and "On" switch.

Last edited by Blainne; 11-07-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Default My Tracfones connected immediately

My Tracfones Samsung and LG immediately connected to my new 2012 Sonata
Gil.

Originally Posted by jmartin8310
I've had a Sonata Hybrid for about a month now. It was the first one the dealership had even seen, and I don't think they have received another one so far. They seem to be in heavy demand and/or short supply around the country.

I'm averaging 38 MPG according to the car's calculations, and that includes some mountain driving.

I got the standard trim package, and I am quite pleased with it. The car is comfortable and quiet and very well finished inside and out. I have had two problems so far--1) the outside temperature either doesn't function at all or it reads 140 degrees, and 2) the BlueTooth no longer recognizes my Verizone phone, as it did initially. Now it only finds the phone about 1 in 25 times. This seems to be a wide-spread problem among Sonatas (not just Hybrids) according to the Forum, and I hope Hyundai is working on it.

The outside temperature sensor is a problem because it seems to affect the way the climate control works in the car. It tries to deliver A/C when heat is being called for. I'll get it back to the dealership (60 miles away) when I get a chance to see what they can do.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a Sonata Hybrid yet?