Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Engine hesitation - 2011 Sonata SE T 2.0 - Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Question Engine hesitation - 2011 Sonata SE T 2.0 - Lemon?

Hi, new member! would appreciate your opinion on a technical problem!
My car is a Hyundai Sonata 2011 SE Turbo 2.0. The car has 9,000 miles - most miles are highway. In September the car was serviced by the dealer 5 times for service because of a check engine light. It took the dealer five (5) visits to find the problem. While the engine was experiencing the problems the MPG dropped to 370-390 miles per tank or average of 20.5 MPG while the car was driven on the highway 90% of the time. Once the engine problem was fixed the car averaged 450 miles per tank or 25 miles per gallon.
Now, two (2) months after the engine was “fixed” by Hyundai another problem presented itself this time without a check engine light lighting up. While on the highway, at speed of 60MPH I push the gas pedal only to find out that the car will not exceed 65 MPH. Stressed about the finding I slow down to 55 only to find that the car hesitates, and jerking. I tried to push the gas pedal only to find out that the car once again will not hesitate violently, the RPM will go to 4000 and even 5000 but the speed stays of 65.
We were on a very busy highway and I could not just pull to the side and check what happened. I got in one of the highway exists only to find that the problem is happening in low speed as well. The car will not have the power that you typically have with a turbo and it would sound like full power in neutral when trying to get to 30MPH.
Here comes the strangest part. We get home and I park the car. 5 minutes after the car’s engine is turned off I decide that I should take it to a mechanic to check the engine. I get into the car, start it up and the engine goes back to life. I take it on the highway and it is working… for now. I don’t understand what is going on. Does someone know?
Here’s more information. Driving conditions: outside temp: 40F, no warning lights (tell-tale) on the cluster, oil and engine temp are fine. No mountains or hills and I was not towing anything. The car was serviced on time (oil change). The most recent visit to the shop was because of a piston that was missing and according to the dealership the problem was repaired. What I don’t understand is how it got to a point that it will not upshift on Drive from 65MPH and then on 30MPH and 5 minutes later will return to normal condition like nothing happened.
The person who will answer the question is a KING!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator