Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

How to turn off ESC

Old 12-06-2010, 05:41 PM

It is quite obvious that you do not drive in the snow very much!

I am not trying to be argumentative or suggest that you don't know what you are talking about, but sometimes, the only way to get through a massive amount of snow is to "give 'er hell" and blast through it. I have lived in Minnesota for 53 years and sometimes, you just end up in the snow.

All that I am saying is that ESC would NOT allow me to navigate in the 12 inches of snow that I was driving in. It completely shut down power to the wheels and even hit the brakes when I was trying to maintain speed to keep moving through the snow. And when there is no power to the wheels or if the brakes are on, you do not go anywhere.

I have reviewed quite a bit of information online and find that the ESC seems to work very well at higher speeds, reacting quicker than the human brain can in a slippery situation. I am certain that the ESC system is quite a marvel of technology. BUT......if you do find yourself stuck in the snow and the ESC does not allow your wheels to turn, simply turn off the ESC and you can power your way through the snow.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by racurl@comcast.net
It is quite obvious that you do not drive in the snow very much!

Really? This was last winter for me:

What is quite obvious is that you do not have a clue about me.

I am not trying to be argumentative or suggest that you don't know what you are talking about, but sometimes, the only way to get through a massive amount of snow is to "give 'er hell" and blast through it.

First, you shouldn't drive through "a massive amount of snow". That's just foolish to try. Second, if the snow is deep enough, spinning the wheels will just dig holds until the car bottoms out on the top of the snow. Again, spinning the wheels only works if there is traction below them.

I have lived in Minnesota for 53 years and sometimes, you just end up in the snow.

Not if you know how to drive. Obviously you don't since you purposely drive into "massive amounts of snow" and admit that you "just end up in the snow".

Old 12-10-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by warren83
Thanks for the help. I will have to look into new tires.

Just an FYI...I turned off the ESC and got up the hill perfect. I could give it more power and the wheels seem to spin faster to get me up it. Although if I had better tires this might not have been an issue.

Thanks again
Warren
It would seem as I am not the only one that has had this sort of trouble with the ESC on a Hyundai. Brakes on and power reduced....no getting up the hill!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

It would seem as I am not the only one that has had this sort of trouble with the ESC on a Hyundai. Brakes on and power reduced....no getting up the hill!
And you missed the key statement I've been saying all along:
Originally Posted by NovaResource
Your problem is with the tires, not the ESC. I'd look into better tires for the winter.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=135
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=122

Originally Posted by warren83
Although if I had better tires this might not have been an issue.
Spinning tires that don't grip isn't the solution. It's having tires with traction so you don't spin at all.

Last edited by NovaResource; 01-20-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:40 PM

I grew up in Milwaukee Wisconsin (on the shore of Lake Michigan, and have lived in 'garden spots' like Oscoda Michigan, (on the shore of Lake Huron), Marquette Michigan, (on the shore of Lake Superior), Fairbanks, Alaska and the Black Hills in western South Dakota.... I'll leave the ESC button 'ON'... thank you.

Even in the ice that Indianapolis gets, I much prefer the 'soft-peddle' that the ESC provides for winter driving.

In my experiences, folks that blast thru snow, and give it hell, are usually soon to be found on a tow truck's hook.