Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Hyundai Service Center blew up my engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Unhappy Hyundai Service Center blew up my engine

I'm going to try and keep the story short so I don't bore people, but I am looking for advice and/or similar circumstances that may have happened to people in the past.

Two weeks by I took my 06 Sonata GLS (3.3L) in to the shop because the oil pressure light was on. I had the car towed in because I did not want to drive it if it was really having trouble maintaining oil pressure. At first the shop came back and said there was significant oil leak in the timing cover that was leaking oil everywhere and it would cost $2500 to fix. I was a little skeptical since I had checked before taking it in and there was not drop in oil level, and no oil in my driveway.

The technician then recommended a full engine flush and a "dye" check to prove the leak. After performing the flush and letting the car run for 30 minutes in the shop they came back and said there was no leak (go figure) but the oil pressure light was still on. I asked them at this time if they noticed any sludge or debris in the oil when they did the flush and he said other than a little grime on the filler cap there was nothing.

The technician then said, after consulting with the shop foreman, that he wanted to take the car out for a drive to see if they could get the leak to show up. I was hesitent since the oil light was still on, but agreed since they were recommending it.

The next day they called me up and said the car had broke down on the freeway and after further inspection there was now metal debris in the oil and the engine would have to be replaced at a cost of $8000. Not only that, but now their story has changed and they actually did not check for sludge or debris when they flushed the engine, and the oil pressure light was not on before they took the car out on the freeway. Basically they are claiming it was a pre-existing maintenance issue and the damage was done before I brought the car in.

Now I cannot speak with full confidence as to the maintenance history of the vehicle as I just recently purchased it. It just seems to me that the shop should be at least partially responsible for the damage caused to the vehicle while it was in their care.

Has anyone ever had an experience like this? Any advice on what I should do now? The shop, after refusing to accept any responsibility, says my options are to pay the $8000+ to replace the engine, or pay $220 for the work performed so far and have it towed out of there. I don't want to take the car back until I have exhausted all other options, but I'm not sure where to go. Hyundai Consumer Affairs hasn't been very helpful, claiming I should work it out with the shop (it is a Hyundai dealership with Hyundai certified technicians).

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-15-2011, 11:56 AM

I would get a lawyer as they are partially responsible for the motor. I would pull the car out of there before they surprisingly surprise you with storage fees. I dont trust the service centers in Hyundai Dealerships. Their techs suck!!! I am dealing with almost same issue except I caught it before damaging the motor. Good cars up to a point, but the techs and supervisors are worthless. There may be a few good ones but those are hard to find. Good luck. My opinion get a lawyer. Car was working fine with just a light on and they blew out your motor.