Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Intermittent power loss - 2013 Sonata Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 02:10 PM
Default Intermittent power loss - 2013 Sonata Hybrid

My 2013 Sonata Hybrid has an odd problem that the dealer has been unable to solve. I have to believe that someone else has experienced this too.

The car has 116,000 miles and has been quite reliable. However, over the past few months it has begun to abruptly lose power when on long trips (over an hour). It will act as if the gas pedal is no longer connected - the car keeps running, but at just above idle. The car keeps moving, but pushing the pedal to the floor has no effect. I discovered that if you take your foot completely off the gas pedal, and then press down again, it will start behaving normally. It will usually lose power again a few seconds or minutes later, but releasing the pedal will again "reset" things. While this is happening, the "EV" (Electric Vehicle mode) indicator does NOT come on - e.g., it isn't switching into EV mode. When it begins doing this, it will continue for the remainder of the trip, but once it cools down, it is usually fine.

I have taken the car to the dealer several times, but they have been completely clueless. Since the condition doesn't create an error code, they are lost diagnosing it. Their best strategy is to have a mechanic commute with our car for several days (using our gas) hoping the problem will re-occur. But since he doesn't live over an hour from the dealership, the problem never happens on his watch.