Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Issues with my Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Default Issues with my Sonata

I have a '99 Sonata GLS V6 automatic transmission and I've been having some issues with it for the past few weeks. First, the check engine light came on and my boyfriend had a look (he knows a little about cars, but admittedly not a lot) and the transmission fluid was low, so we refilled it. When we did this the light went off.

Two days later it happened again, so we filled it again and the light went off. This happened for a few weeks until finally my light wouldn't go off anymore. We kept checking the fluid level, but it no longer went down at all, but now the light won't go off and the car shakes when it gets up to about 80 km/h. Although it doesn't shake all the time. Sometimes it runs fine. Also, there's been a couple times that I've lost power pulling out of the parking lot at work.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. The cheaper the better! Thanks

Old 07-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

The check engine light could be any number of things. The light just means the computer has a code detected a problem. There will be a code stored in the computer that will be more specific as to what the problem is. You must get the code read to know what to fix. If you don't own a code reader go to an auto parts store that offers free code reading. Places like Autozone, PepBoys and AdvanceAuto will do that for you.