Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

No more sonatas for me

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Default No more sonatas for me

We bought a new Sonata in 2006. For 60,000 miles it ran flawlessly. We loved the car. When the bumper to bumper warranty ran out, the problems began & they were costly. First, the fuel pump died at 60,500 miles. That was only $1,000. Next, the air conditioner died & that was another $500. Then the passenger visor broke. Finally, the valve cover gaskets started leaking fouling the coils and plugs. That was an 8 hour repair (replace gaskets, replace 6 coils, replace 6 spark plugs) & the cost was expensive.

Naturally there was no help from Hyundai.

I just sold the turkey before anything broke on it again. I will never, ever own another Hyundai or Kia again ----- PERIOD!!

Old 11-25-2010, 01:49 PM

I know you must be pissed about your vehicle but don't you think that could happen to almost any vehicle? They don't make cars like they use to an maybe you just got one of those lemons but, I may be ignorant about Hyundai's since this is my first one with only 20k miles on it but would it be better not to say how you feel? There are a few of us that still have pretty reliable rides and with your comments dosent make this forum very constructive. I guess based on your thread I'll just have to wait till something goes wrong an see how it goes like you did, but don't rag on the car. Sometimes it's the owners neglect! Not that you did anything wrong but Damm! I'm startin to like my ride an I also own a 2005 Audi A8L and things go wrong with them as well.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gbono2
Yes!!!!!!!

I own a 2006 Sonata with 12000 miles & no problems. Only trip to the dealer was for a free oil change. I have owned the car since August, 2006. If the car continues to be trouble free, I will definetly buy another.
I've had my '06 for just over a year. I've put 21,00 miles on it. No problems. Great, fun car to drive. I feel the Sonata is comparable to Camry or Accord except it costs less. I think I could have gone with the 4 cylinder instead of the v-6, but too late.
We bought a new Sonata in 2006. For 60,000 miles it ran flawlessly. We loved the car. When the bumper to bumper warranty ran out, the problems began & they were costly. First, the fuel pump died at 60,500 miles. That was only $1,000. Next, the air conditioner died & that was another $500. Then the passenger visor broke. Finally, the valve cover gaskets started leaking fouling the coils and plugs. That was an 8 hour repair (replace gaskets, replace 6 coils, replace 6 spark plugs) & the cost was expensive.

Naturally there was no help from Hyundai.

I just sold the turkey before anything broke on it again. I will never, ever own another Hyundai or Kia again ----- PERIOD!!
Wishy-washy aren’t we?
Owning a car requires maintenance. The older the car gets, the more maintenance and repairs it needs. That goes for all cars, not just Hyundai.

Last edited by NovaResource; 11-26-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:28 AM

Sorry to hear of your experience but it's a good thing your Sonata is not indicative of the car in general. I've never seen anyone post about a failed fuel pump on these cars before. My 2006 Sonata has over 125,000 kms (~78,000 miles) on it and I have not had any of the issues you've had. I will continue to treat my car with respect and proper maintenance and I trust it will be good to me in return for years to come.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:16 PM

Wow, Same exact post in 2 different forums.