Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

P0057 changed O2, checked PCM

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 01:54 PM
Default P0057 changed O2, checked PCM

I have a 2007 Sonata 3.3...I had to replace the middle pipe (one with two flex pipes on it)...When I got it all back together I got the P0057 code...I went ahead and replaced the O2 sensor..but that did not fix it...I have checked the O2 sensor and it is working as it should...I also have power (+12V) and Ground at the female connector for the O2 sensor...I tried swapping the PCM with another 2006 Sonata 3.3 and get the same message....when I put the 2007 PCM in the 2006 it runs fine which leads me to believe the PCM is functional....

So...I have no idea what could be wrong.....

Anyone?????

Old 08-29-2019, 05:12 PM

When you replaced the middle pipe, you then got the P0057 code.
That would make me think that something isn't quite right with the work that was done???
Changing the O2 sensor without checking the wiring first??

Your O2 sensor should have four wires.
Two for the O2 sensor and two for the heater circuit.
Is the voltage of the heater control circuit of the O2 sensor low as stated in the criteria for setting the code??
If not then you need to see why the PCM is seeing it as low
If it is low then you need to see why the voltage is low

Of course, all this is a wild guess.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:32 PM

Thank you. I am new at this. I just cant see taking this in for a lot of work. Car has 150K on it. So anyway, here is what I have done.

The car was making noise (leaking at the small flex pie). Car sounds quiet now.

When taking out the pipe, it dropped before I took the O2 sensor off. When I put it back on I got the code so I figured I should replace it.

When I measure voltage on the circuit (black/grey wires) I get around .3V steady.

Its a four wire sensor Purple, White, Black, Grey. I get around 12 ohms between Purple/White
Black is ground and Grey is +12V when key is on.

I am not positive that is how its done, but it what I could decipher using google, etc.

Thanks again, this is much appreciated..

Old 08-30-2019, 12:08 AM

Four wire sensor
Two for O2 sensor
Two for heater circuit

So, the Sensor .. bank 2 sensor 2 for P0057 DTC
Vehicle has a V 6 engine
Front three cylinders are for bank one
Rear three cylinders are for bank two
Sensor two means the O2 sensor after the catalytic converter or down stream sensor

Suspect black and grey is the heater circuit.
You're getting 12 volts?
Then circuit is not low But the PCM is seeing it as low?
Now, I am at a loss.
Need schematic to see what this circuit does

Old 09-02-2019, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the replies. I had to go out of town for a coupe days. Here is where I stand.

When I used a known good PCM I still get the P0057. So, that tells me (I think) there is a fault between the sensor and the PCM. So, (I think), I should test the wire(s) between the sensor and PCM.

How do I check the wiring between the sensor and the PCM? I have access to both downstream sensor wire harnesses. They junction right at the top of the engine. I have no idea what color they are or how to test them. I also have no idea what color the wires are from the harness to the PCM. I do have a manual with info but they do not show the wire colors.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:26 PM

Yeah, this is where you need a good electrical schematic to find the wiring issue
The only other thing to do is to look for where the wiring loom goes and look for contact and heat that might fray or break the loom
Sometimes get lucky.
Sorry can't help further

Old 09-08-2019, 05:38 AM

I spent yesterday troubleshooting this issue and am really frustrated. I currently have tracked this down to an issue on the control side of the circuit. Here is where I stand.

I found a troubleshooting tip using a 12V bulb across the heater circuit. Before connecting the light bulb, when I hook up my voltmeter I show 12V across heater circuit with key on and/or engine running. Then, when I hook up light bulb across the heater circuit, that voltage drops to zero.I still show 12V at the power supply of the harness, which tells me the issue is within the wiring on the control side of circuit from the harness to the PCM.

The problem I have is tracing the circuit wires from the harness to the PCM. I have a service manual with some wiring diagrams, but, it does not have the information of how the wire from the harness gets to the PCM. From what I can tell the two wires look like they are Blue and Pink going to PCM.

Can anyone tell me what these two wires correspond to on the PCM connector? There are two large connectors going into PCM. Looks like one goes to fuse box other one is coming in from engine bay. I hate to start messing around and playing with those two harnesses without actually knowing where to start.

Any advice would be much appreciated.