Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Please help, ding in door

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Default Please help, ding in door

Good Day,

I am new here because I just got a 2008 sonata last month. Yet got a ding on passenger side door already. The ding is really really small (can only be seen from certain angle or by reflection).

Any body can tell me if I can reach the dent from inside door by removing trim panel? I know I should forget it, but can not help.

Checked the hmaservice.com and found the information on how to remove trim panel, but not sure after that if I can reach the ding from inside, or I have to remove the 'door module' or something else.

You help is really appreciated!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Default RE: Please help, ding in door

Have you thought about using a suction cup puller to get rid of the ding instead of going at it from behind?

I don't know what tool is called or where to get one but I seem to recall some loud marketing guy on late night tv with a beard that looked painted on talking about it. He also sells Kaboom cleaner, some picture hanging hook things and really absorbent towels among other items.

badwrench

Old 06-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Default RE: Please help, ding in door

It's called the "Ding King":

http://www.dingking.tv/Ding-King-Twist-A-Dent-Kit?leadsource=PS112&s_kwcid=ding%20king|15307 47829&gclid=COGbx5n02ZMCFSkziQodPjoCZQ

For only $20, I'd give it a shot. I bet you can find these at a Checker or Schuck's Auto. You'll probably want to pick up a touchup paint stick too.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Default Did it. Thanks a lot, badwrench and ken99

I did it. Thanks a lot, badwrench and ken99!

I really hope I had seen your replies earlier. The fact is that I could not log on this forum for several weeks, and I went ahead to dissemble the door and tried to fix the dent. It was not working very well, and the dent was reduced but still something there. Then I followed your suggestions to use the Ding King, and fixed the dent almost 95%. Now I like Ding King very very much.

Since I had played with the door for sometime, I hoped the information and picture I got could be useful to the others.

The removal of trim panel is somewhat difficult. I found the detailed information from www.hmaservice.com, which was very useful even very simplified.

All screws are very easy to locate; only two of them were covered (see pictures).

After removal of all screws, the trim panel could be pried off from the door a litter bit to release the plastic clicks. This needed some strength but be careful do not break the clicks (picture). In my case, some clicks were so firmly stuck to the door; they remained there with the door, instead came off with the trim panel. I had to pull them out afterwards.

Then lifted the panel upwards and disconnected it from door. Be patient and gentle. Be careful for the electrical connections which could be then disconnected between the door and panel. Then the panel could be totally removed and put aside. I was told that some car manufactures used cheap plastic film to separate door module and trim panel, and glad to find out that was not the case with Hyundai. The door module was protected with a steel cover, which, unfortunately, made it very difficult to fix door dents by ourselves (pictures).

The next step was to remove the glass. From the picture of door module, there are two big holes with black rubber covers, which were designed to remove / adjust glass. After the cover were opened, something inside could be seen but not much. Then the trim panel electrical connections should be reconnected in order to move the glass, so that the screws that fixing glass could be seen and loosened through the two holes. After loosening the screws, glass could be removed upwards with very care.

By this time, I could pretty much reach the dent through one of the big holes. In order to have a clearer view, I also removed that so called weather strip, which was not a big deal (picture).

Also for your information, it was found that there is a thick protection layer inside the outer door steel plate (picture). My dent, however, was unfortunately located on the edge of that layer. Probably, that bad guy had hit my door in the middle (I got little scratches); but the dents happened only in the upper part where was not covered by the protection layer.

Sorry the pictures were not working. May try latter if.