Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Is it possible emission leakage ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by sunnyvale
Thanks a lot. Is mold/mildew easy to smell out ?
In the very beginning I smell something bad as dealer sprayed something, right now I can not say I smell anything (but not sure).
Is that possible coolant leakage cause eyes, nose, throat dis-comfortable and last a few days?
And such dis-comfortable feeling is much worse in sunny day time, also feeling itch somewhere on my body.
Is the smell more noticable only after the engine has warmed up? If so, I would guess either a coolant or a power steering line leak. Hot coolant has a very sweet, distinctive odor, almost like maple syrup. I've had cars with a power steering leak (more like a drip or spray when preassure was applied in a turn) that gave off a very acrid odor when the fluid landed on a hot engine component like a manifold or exhaust pipe. Check your power steering level and see if it is low. Something organic rotting? Yes, I suppose so, but I checked out my own 2008 Sonata and can't imagine how anything of size could get into the ventilation system.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:17 PM

I left my car to delaer on last Monday (10/26), and picked it up on Friday(10/30). The dealer claimed they did not find out anything abnormal.
But when I was driving my car on Friday, the "check" (engine) light turning on. I need to wait for next Monday (Nov.02) to leave my car to dealer again to see what happened.
Do you know if is it possible to return the car to dealer or ask for exchange ?
Thanks a lot

Old 10-31-2009, 09:17 PM

The dealer had it for 5 days, and gave it back with a problem.... use your warranty and take it back. Be ready to contact the area rep for Hyundai also.

That's not how to keep customers.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:22 PM

Thanks a lot. How can I contact the area rep for Hyundai ?

Old 11-02-2009, 03:52 PM

Check the Owners Manual. Phone numbers & Addresses are printed in there, region by region.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:00 PM

I got 2 DTC codes today from dealer:
P0160: O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 2 Sensor 2
P0552: Power Steering Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Low
Is it possible that these 2 errors cause my breathing problem, eyes, nose and throat dis-comfortable ?
Anybody know the root causes for these 2 errors ?

Thanks a lot.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:45 PM

The first one refers to the O2 sensor having a problem. If you had an exhaust leak where the intake manifold meets the engine, this would mess up your O2 sensor and could allow exhaust fumes to escape into the engine bay (and then be sucked up by your ventilation system).

The power steering code I would think would have no bearing on your health problems.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:33 PM

If there is an exhaust leak where the intake manifold meets the engine, can we hear any noise , and is it possible that the system can detect it and turn on "Check Engine" and have a DTC code ?

On the other hand, if "Check Engine" is off, can we say that there is no exhaust leak?
Thanks a lot

Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 AM

On November 3/09 you said you got two codes from the dealer. Has the dealer not made repairs to correct the issues?

It is not possible to have an exhaust leak at the intake manifold. An exhaust leak can only occur beginning at the exhaust manifold and anywhere further downstream in the exhaust system.

Your car has two O2 sensors, one in the exhaust manifold and one after the catalytic convertor. Based on the code it seems you must have a V6 (bank 2) and the O2 sensor after the catalytic convertor (sensor 2) is detecting a problem. To my knowledge, this one is only used to confirm proper operation of the cat.

I still think you need to stay on the dealer and have them make repairs to correct the problems which triggered the CEL.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:52 PM

The dealer fixed those two issues(replaced Oxygen sensor and power steering pressure switch) related to those two DTC codes.
But I am still worrying about my breathing difficulty problem, as the dealer said that those two issues are nothing to do with my breathing difficulty problem.
Thanks a lot

Quick Reply: Is it possible emission leakage ?