Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Is it possible emission leakage ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:28 PM

Have you tried switching the ventilation to recirculation mode and then turning on the fan? If the problem doesn't change it probably means the issue is in the interior of the car not exhaust gas being drawn into the cabin from underhood.

Exhaust gas contains carbon monoxide which is colourless and odorless. If it was getting inside the cabin, if anything, it would probably make you feel drowsy.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:32 PM

I turn off fan to drive and open the window some times, it is ok.
Actually I fear to turn on the fan to drive after got serious sick twice.
I did not try recirculation mode and turn on the fan yet, maybe I need to have a try.
Thanks a lot.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:43 PM

Just another thought, do you use the whindshield washer regularly? Is it possible that you have something other than squirter fluid in the jug, or a fluid that you have a sensitivity to?

Old 11-12-2009, 12:20 PM

Actually I seldom use windshield washer.
Anybody know any reason the breathing difficulty problem is much worse in sunny day time than night time.
I really wonder it is because of allergy, or emission leak, or some other issues.

Thanks a lot.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:11 PM

One other thing you could try is to swap cars with a good friend for a few days. If they drive your car the same way you do and have no health issues, then the problem is going to be something strange and unique only to you.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:33 PM

Maybe you have an allergy or reaction to the off-gassing that happens to the interior plastics and adhesives. That might explain why it is worse on a sunny day than at night since the heat and sunlight probably accelerate the process.

If that is the case it will probably get better over time as the "new car" smell disappears.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:25 PM

Actually it is a used 2008 sonata, and I got the breathing difficulty problem one month after I bought it .
And the dealer also did a drive test trip for almost 100 miles in night time. they do not have the same problem as mine. Dealer said there should be noise to be heard if some leak exist, but can not hear any noise.
Do you have any idea if it is because of the interior plastics and adhesives ? But why I do not have the problem in the first month ?
Something bad accumulated and trigger my breathing problem ?

Thanks a lot.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:13 PM

I had a winshield replaced once, in a '68 Charger, and I recognized "engine smell" right away, and to show the installer that I wasn't making this up, I put a sheet of paper on the dash, and it slid into the engine compartment!

Old 11-25-2009, 04:16 PM

Can anybody have some document or figures to describe the whole vent system for the air flow in all mode ?

Thanks a lot

Old 11-27-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by sunnyvale
Can anybody have some document or figures to describe the whole vent system for the air flow in all mode ?

Thanks a lot
You can view the entire Hyundai factory service manual (FSM) on line at
http://www.hmaservice.com/

Quick Reply: Is it possible emission leakage ?