Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Potential new 2011 Sonata owner seeking experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Default Potential new 2011 Sonata owner seeking experience

Hi everyone
My wife came home with basically new 2008 base Honda Accord last weekend.
We had it for the weekend before returning it to the dealer.
She's getting the bug to loose a few cylinders from our stable of v10 & v8's due to the gas prices. I'm reluctantly getting on board.

So the base Accord is decent. Surprising loud on the hwy though, I blame that partly on the replacement tires being performance Continentals.
Trunk is on par for the class as is rear seat for the teenagers.
Can't complain about the front either.
Some think the center dash layout looks complicated with all the buttons but I found it easy to use and the large old people size buttons are easy to navigate without taking your eyes off the road too long.
Rear seatback only folds as entire unit, not 60/40.
Base sound system is better than average and blew me away with the best reception I've heard in our rural area.

Got comments from people on the street regarding their new Camry and another with an Altima.
Guy at work tells the new Sonata is a must see.
Well we took a 2011 GLS out last night.
Wow. Nice. Hard to believe this is a 4.
Trunk will be a welcome replacement for our Town Car which is large space to replace.
Quiet on the hwy. cruised up steep grades without downshifting.
Good feel to the brakes. (Honda is way too touchy)

Read reviews all night and today.
Now I need to hear it from the owners here on their likes and dislikes - its the only car that we don't know of anyone owning.
I'm normally the local that does stuff different so this would follow tradition.

I'll start with the couple things I found on the drive and online.

Base sound system isn't what I expected. Didn't have good reception and lacking mids and highs even with adjustment.
***** Has anyone here upgraded a base system with a higher trim level system? Do the higher trim levels have significantly different / better systems?
I'm not looking to hack in a $1000 head unit and array of aftermarket speakers.

What is the Eco thing?
I read that it may screw up gas mileage or is that only the reading for the mileage?

Is the rear control arm bushing an isolated thing with a handful of people or a potential issue with this latest gen?

Lots here for a first post.
Thanks in advance to all comments.

Last edited by rdct; 04-05-2012 at 08:53 PM.