Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Question about EPS

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 08:39 PM
Default Question about EPS

I've got a 2023 Sonata Hybrid and have been working with controlling steering using the CAN Bus. It seems like the max I can tell it is 409, but the amount of steering that gives isn't enough. I was wondering if anyone here could explain how it actually determines and outputs steering torque. I was thinking that maybe I could swap out a component somewhere to increase how much torque is requested at 409. Either that or some way to increase the request limit.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:21 PM

Not sure if you gave this some thought.

It is a 2023 year vehicle that is covered by a good warranty which if messed around with can void that warranty.

All problems , if any ,now become your complete problem. Warranty protection is worth keeping .

Old 10-03-2023, 04:32 PM

I can't seem to wrap my head around. All these people who want to play mechanic, especially with a new car.. When it breaks, they will cry "O this car is crap, and now the dealer will not fix it, all because I did a little mode, knowing i had no idea what the heck I was doing".

Old 10-06-2023, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by doubledragon5
I can't seem to wrap my head around. All these people who want to play mechanic, especially with a new car.. When it breaks, they will cry "O this car is crap, and now the dealer will not fix it, all because I did a little mode, knowing i had no idea what the heck I was doing".

Amazing how you decide to complain about me asking this. Way to make an assumption, you know what assumptions do right?

Last edited by Crisped3245; 10-06-2023 at 02:11 PM. Reason: It didn't add the quote in
Old 10-06-2023, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Not sure if you gave this some thought.

It is a 2023 year vehicle that is covered by a good warranty which if messed around with can void that warranty.

All problems , if any ,now become your complete problem. Warranty protection is worth keeping .
I gave it thought, and want to do this. Responding with a warning and no other information isn't super helpful, though it's more helpful than that other person just complaining. At the very least if someone could tell me which connector type this is. It's the ground, CAN H, and CAN L.

Attached Thumbnails Question about EPS-eps-connector.png  
Old 10-07-2023, 06:20 AM

What do you mean ,"Which connector type?"
Do you have any background with CAN? If so what?
If you are looking for a ground ,you can use pins 4 &5 of the diagnostic plug for that. Pin 4 is system ground , pin 5 is chassis ground.

You posted a lot of info that I do not believe is necessary to diagnose the present , as I understand it, problem.
How about a little more background as to just what you want to accomplish.

Not sure, but why do I have the feeling you have some electronic background and got involved in something where we learned a long time ago , DO NOT attempt to reengineer the system.

By the way , what does 409 signify?

You aroused my curiosity, because this is a repair help forum and not necessarily engineering forum.

There are alignment considerations,lidar, radar,,torque angle sensor and steering position sensors to be concerned with.
Camera locations and vehicle side sensors also get into the picture. If this is where this is going , we might be able to assist with troubleshooting , but the engineering we leave to the engineers. Am I getting warm or way off base , thanks.

Last edited by hanky; 10-07-2023 at 12:01 PM.