Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Thinking about changing my own fluids in an 07

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Default Thinking about changing my own fluids in an 07

I am considering changing the transmission fluid my 07 GLS automatic Sonata. It has 64K and Firestone wants about $170. I also hope i could get a coolant flush and a break flush while I am under there (quoted at about $180.)

I was wondering if anyone has done one of the three in the past and could give me some tips.

I plan on buying Jack stands to make my life easier.

What do you guys think?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Unless you know what you are doing and/or have someone there that does to help you, I wouldn't suggest doing this. Especially the trans fluid and the brake fluid. $180 to flush those fluids isn't a bad price. Also, be sure whoever changes you transmission fluid uses ONLY SP-III fluid from Hyundai. All other trans fluids will destroy your transmission.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:50 AM

I have a 08 sonata and did the trans fluid change myself at 30k. Tranny drain plug makes it as easy as an oil change. I used the Hyundai tranny fluid. Do it your self and save $$$.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

That drain plug drains less than half the fluid.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
That drain plug drains less than half the fluid.
I Know, I did it twice, the 2nd time a week later.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

That doesn't guarantee you get out the other half. Half the oil you drained out the second time was the new oil.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Unless you know what you are doing and/or have someone there that does to help you, I wouldn't suggest doing this. Especially the trans fluid and the brake fluid. $180 to flush those fluids isn't a bad price. Also, be sure whoever changes you transmission fluid uses ONLY SP-III fluid from Hyundai. All other trans fluids will destroy your transmission.
If I wanted to change the automatic transaxle fluid myself in a 2006 2.4 L, could I stick a vacum pump down the transmission filler tube and suck out most of the fluid that doesn't get drained from the drain plug? I could then pour 1-2 qts of new into the tranny and suck out a little more crud. Just a thought; I'm not sure how the pro's do a flush.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

No, that won't work because it's only getting out what's in the pan (just like draining the pan would do). The problem is getting out the fluid in the valve body and torque converter.

Pros have 2 types of machines. One disconnects a line from the radiator and connects it to the fluid transfer machine. A line on the machine connects back to the radiator. Then they run the engine and the trans pump pushes the fluid out into the machine while the machine pushes new fluid back in.

The other type of machine attaches to the pump intake after the pan and filter is removed. This machine only supplies fresh new fluid to the pump intake and as the fluid passes through the transmission it dumps out to a collection tray and never goes back through for a second pass. All of the old fluid and crud is replaced with fresh new fluid. After the service a new filter is installed, the pan replaced and then it is topped off with new fluid to the proper level on the dipstick.