Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Thinking of buying a Sonata hybrid limited...any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 06:54 PM

So today I test drove a '21 Sonata Limited and a '21 Sonata Hybrid SEL. With the hybrid, what I found a bit annoying is the occasional 'dip' in the initial acceleration during the transition time when the EV kicks out and the gas engine kicks in. Just a bit of a lull. The test drive route the salesman had me do, unfortunately, didn't involve hardly any open road / highway driving, so I need to do it again and ask if we can go a different way. Most of the fairly short test-drive route was in our local town - so lots of stopping and starting (hence the chance to experience that lull I'm referring to). Never got to experience the car at higher rpm let alone maybe even try the cruise control and get to see how some of the various safety sensors operate. Too much having to concentrate on traffic instead of the car! I could tell this particular salesperson is not a fan of hybrid to begin with and doesn't feel it's worth it.

One question about the battery on them - if the battery goes kaput is that covered under the hybrid / electric system components 10 / 100,000 warranty? Overall, I was very impressed. The seats are sort of 'stiff' compared to those in the Riviera, and the ride - while very nice - is just different than what I'm used to. Riviera sort of just floats down the road - like sitting in a couch while driving your car - could fall asleep in the thing on long open stretches. I DO want to go back and drive it again. Love the power tilt sunroof but unfortunately not available on hybrid models.

If I do go with this car, as is looking very likely, not sure now on hybrid or regular. Thoughts on that one?

PS LOL about your saying the Riv came with "a million problems"!!! I've read reviews from owners that say they've had very few issues over the years. I can't say the same. The car picked my wallet clean at times.

Last edited by three4rd; 09-10-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by three4rd
So today I test drove a '21 Sonata Limited and a '21 Sonata Hybrid SEL. With the hybrid, what I found a bit annoying is the occasional 'dip' in the initial acceleration during the transition time when the EV kicks out and the gas engine kicks in. Just a bit of a lull. The test drive route the salesman had me do, unfortunately, didn't involve hardly any open road / highway driving, so I need to do it again and ask if we can go a different way. Most of the fairly short test-drive route was in our local town - so lots of stopping and starting (hence the chance to experience that lull I'm referring to). Never got to experience the car at higher rpm let alone maybe even try the cruise control and get to see how some of the various safety sensors operate. Too much having to concentrate on traffic instead of the car! I could tell this particular salesperson is not a fan of hybrid to begin with and doesn't feel it's worth it.

One question about the battery on them - if the battery goes kaput is that covered under the hybrid / electric system components 10 / 100,000 warranty? Overall, I was very impressed. The seats are sort of 'stiff' compared to those in the Riviera, and the ride - while very nice - is just different than what I'm used to. Riviera sort of just floats down the road - like sitting in a couch while driving your car - could fall asleep in the thing on long open stretches. I DO want to go back and drive it again. Love the power tilt sunroof but unfortunately not available on hybrid models.

If I do go with this car, as is looking very likely, not sure now on hybrid or regular. Thoughts on that one?

PS LOL about your saying the Riv came with "a million problems"!!! I've read reviews from owners that say they've had very few issues over the years. I can't say the same. The car picked my wallet clean at times.
As far as my experience with the Buick Rivera's, the last one I rode in was an '86 or so? It had a large touch screen that operated the HVAC, radio and God knows what else? Windshield wipers? Headlights? I heard it was prone to fail and was about half the cost of the car when new to fix. Again, innovative, but the technology wasn't capable. Comfy seats and a really good looking car. Whatever was made after that, it took Buick decades to get their quality and reliability to better than average according to consumer reviews.
Now for your test drive.... Put the car in Sport mode and floor it in an area someplace safe. Also, slam on the brakes in a similar area and conditions. Tell the salesperson what you are going to do in advance every time. They will not mind if you ask. The salespeople will probably recommend the car that they make the highest commission, obviously. On the freeway, expect more road and wind noise than some in it's class. It's not terrible. Overall, you get what you pay for in this car. Remember that it's a family sedan and not a Sport or Luxury car. I do feel quite confident owning a hybrid just as long as a gas only version. I don't hear a lot of stories about supposed hybrid battery failure after 'X' amount of years. If it was that serious, we would all know about it. More than likely, normal wear and tear, mileage, etc. has caused it's demise. I plan on traveling more so I bought a car that I could drive for hours at a time in relative comfort with 40+ M.P.G. Buy what you want and if it's new, get the color and everything else you want or can. Nothing like a new car sensation.

Old 09-12-2021, 01:03 PM

Great thoughts in your last post! One concern I have is the low clearance in the front - not ideal for where we live with lots of snow / ice out in the country. Also more prone to getting scratches and scrapes I'd think.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:37 PM

Driving a vehicle that is low to the ground in unplowed snow can get frustrating.
WHY?
The snow if deep enough builds up under the vehicle , lifts up the vehicle until the wheels will no longer have any ability to contact the ground and ,, "YOU ARE STUCK">
Have been there , drove snowplow and dug out vehicles to get them off the road so plowing could continue.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Driving a vehicle that is low to the ground in unplowed snow can get frustrating.
WHY?
The snow if deep enough builds up under the vehicle , lifts up the vehicle until the wheels will no longer have any ability to contact the ground and ,, "YOU ARE STUCK">
Have been there , drove snowplow and dug out vehicles to get them off the road so plowing could continue.
And yet....it seems like most or certainly many new cars are low clearance. I really like the car. I think it's coming down to a choice between a Sonata Hybrid (Limited) and a Toyota Camry Hybrid (haven't researched fully what stylings / trims those come in). Both are probably about the same front end clearance. Talked to my sister-in-law who has had plenty of low-clearance cars. Her answer is that they don't use them when there is snow built up on the roads.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by three4rd
And yet....it seems like most or certainly many new cars are low clearance. I really like the car. I think it's coming down to a choice between a Sonata Hybrid (Limited) and a Toyota Camry Hybrid (haven't researched fully what stylings / trims those come in). Both are probably about the same front end clearance. Talked to my sister-in-law who has had plenty of low-clearance cars. Her answer is that they don't use them when there is snow built up on the roads.
Well that's a new wrinkle. The Camry will be nicer, but cost a lot more. Is it worth it to you? Don't forget Honda. Most importantly, if you seriously must drive in snow and wintery conditions on a yearly basis get a vehicle designed for that with the clearance you need. SUV's have Hybrids, too. You wouldn't go off-roading in a mid sized sedan. Normally.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by oredav
Well that's a new wrinkle. The Camry will be nicer, but cost a lot more. Is it worth it to you? Don't forget Honda. Most importantly, if you seriously must drive in snow and wintery conditions on a yearly basis get a vehicle designed for that with the clearance you need. SUV's have Hybrids, too. You wouldn't go off-roading in a mid sized sedan. Normally.
Interesting that you think the Camry to be nicer. In what way? I think the Sonata, overall, has a nicer exterior and interior design. It has a bit more of a 'luxury' feel to it. I surely enjoyed driving the Camry though. It had a bit sportier and 'smaller car' feel to it, and yet it's basically the same length as the Sonata. Between the two, I'm leaning towards the Sonata. As for winter weather, we have it covered with our Jeep Grand Cherokee, although that also should be replaced being a '97 and has some issues. At this point, I really need to compare both cars point for point in terms of available features at the various trim levels. For Sonata, I'd definitely want the Limited package. Too bad the hybrid version doesn't come with an optional sun roof.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:12 AM

From personal experience, the workmanship and dependability standpoint, A Camary definitely cost more, is a little better in the reliability area.

The more research and comparing you do should help you make a decision that will please you and hopefully satisfy your concerns.

Looks are not everything and depending on where you are in relation to your planned servicing agency , something that is often overlooked, should be examined and considered. Hope you find what you are looking for !

Old 09-14-2021, 12:45 PM

I am not familiar with the new Sonata, especially the top trim. That's great to hear how competitive it is. At the time I was judging a 2019 Camry vs. Honda Accord. The Camry was nicer, but when similarly equipped as the Accord, the Camry was about $2K more? If the new Sonata was just as appealing, go for it. The price would be cheaper. I could not justify at the time spending $40K on a Camry when the Base model was $25K. Also, you can always consider a 2nd vehicle for bad weather driving.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by oredav
I am not familiar with the new Sonata, especially the top trim. That's great to hear how competitive it is. At the time I was judging a 2019 Camry vs. Honda Accord. The Camry was nicer, but when similarly equipped as the Accord, the Camry was about $2K more? If the new Sonata was just as appealing, go for it. The price would be cheaper. I could not justify at the time spending $40K on a Camry when the Base model was $25K. Also, you can always consider a 2nd vehicle for bad weather driving.
Funny story....I and the salesman I'm working with were sitting in an Avalon right in the showroom (before taking one out to test drive) so that he could show me the features - other sales people nearby walking around. I asked him how come the Avalon is so much more expensive than the Sonata given that both have very similar features. He leaned over close and said, "because it's TO-YO-TA!" Lol....... He said Toyota customers are very loyal and so are willing to pay. He feels that dollar for dollar I'd be getting more from the Hyundai. Can't fault a salesman for trying to sell the cheaper car I suppose! Seems like an honest guy to me.

The top (Limited) trim on the Sonata is very nice - I'm really impressed, and honestly didn't expect quite as much since Sonata - by design - is not really intended to sell in the luxury category. Love the huge 10.25" screen in it.

Last edited by three4rd; 09-15-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a Sonata hybrid limited...any advice?