Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Thinking of buying a Sonata hybrid limited...any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 02:08 AM

Well, It sounds like you're set. Post some pics. I did read that Hyundai considers the Sonata as it's flagship, so the latest and greatest features will be in it. I like the big screen, especially for navigation. I'll go to Hyundai's site and take a look. When I saw how pricey the Avalon and Camry higher end models were I thought at that price, why not a Lexus? I think my salesman said the same exact thing when I asked him why the Camry was more than a Accord? "It cost so much because it's a Plymouth Valiant" Salespeople never change.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:12 PM

So now on the Toyota forum ('m a member of that too since I started researching the Avalon about two years ago)...I started a thread about comparing Camry hybridn and Sonata hybrid. I received the folloqing thoughts.. One guy just told me that Hyundai has had a big problem with engine fires and failures (can anyone here vouch for this?), so he’d suggest crossing Sonata off the list for that reason alone. Another thought (of course this IS coming from a Toyota forum!) is that Toyota has been doing hybrid for a long time compared to Hyundai and so probably does it better. That does make some sense, but still not sure it’s cause for great concern. Then, there’s the thought of the extra cost for a hybrid not being justified since it’d take a few years to break even unless one drives 15-20k miles/year. I don’t know what to say about that one. I’m not as concerned about cost or breaking even, etc. but rather for the point of going a bit ‘greener’. Maybe shouldn't have trotted over there but trying to get as many viewpoints as I can.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:10 AM

Hyundai has decided to conduct a safetyrecall in the United States to inspect, and if necessary, replace the engine in: Model Year 2013 and 2014 Hyundai Sonata vehicles equipped with 2.0 liter and 2.4 liter gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines manufactured at Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama

I saw something regarding that on a YouTube clip. This is what i found.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:03 AM

There were 2016 recalls. https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...d-a2571149722/ Interesting about potential connecting rod failures. I already went through that with my Buick! The thing gave way and punched right through the block. Most dramatic..and rather scary actually.

Old 09-18-2021, 12:45 PM

Do you suppose there is something to be said in,, "You get what you pay for".

Old 09-18-2021, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Do you suppose there is something to be said in,, "You get what you pay for".
Generally speaking has been a true adage, but, quite honestly, since so many things today are not made as well as they were back in the day (or at least not made to last as long), I'm not sure the saying applies in all situations. Will any car made today last 26 years like my old Buick has? Probably not.